Chapter XV: The Martian

Richard stood by the computer dashboard in the caverns, examining the team before him. He saw Roy teaching Evelyn new techniques with her bow. The two managed to train efficiently enough, each one showing the other different tricks involving their bows & individual arrows. They sparred together & seemed to be getting along well enough. Richard caught sight of Conner letting Victor spar him, noticing Victor shooting large energy blasts from his cannon arm into Conner's chest. Conner's shirt became shredded &, eventually, forced Conner to rip his shirt off. Evelyn got distracted by this new wardrobe change, allowing Roy to get an upperhand on the two as they sparred.

Richard turned to see Wally showing Logan the capabilities of his speed, showing individual limbs vibrating at a fast rate. It looked as though Wally was slowly fading away from existence, but, Wally smiled. Richard could tell that this was the kind of man who loved to gloat & show off. Richard just hoped that his pride wouldn't get in the way of him getting anything accomplished, or...wouldn't get him killed.

Tim approached Richard & nodded. "Hey, dude," he said.

Richard turned to Tim. "Hey, man."

Tim sighed, crossing his arms, & glanced at the group training. "This is crazy," he said softly. "We're...going up against aliens."

Richard smiled faintly. "Aren't you glad we have a Tamaran & are going to get a Martian?"

Tim shook his head. "That's another thing, Dick. A parallel world? Like, what does that even mean?" Richard kept quiet. Tim scoffed with worry in his eyes. "Do you even know what you're going to have to do?"

Richard bit his lip, glancing over to Rachel & Zatanna. The two were both reading out of some ancient book. Richard could tell they were practicing some incantation. Richard turned to Tim. "Zatanna & Rachel know what they're doing," he said confidently.

Tim shut his eyes tightly, & opened them as he grunted in frustration. "Dick...this is interdimensional travel. You're getting a Martian. Who knows what's on the other side?"

Richard shrugged. "Like what, Tim?"

"I dunno, like, a bazillion more aliens? Maybe Planet of the Apes, I don't know!"

Richard let out a casual laugh. "It's a version of Earth, man. Not something ripped out of a sci-fi movie."

Tim rolled his eyes. "Whatever, man. This whole thing is a sci-fi movie."

Richard placed his hand on Tim's shoulder & looked straight into his eyes with the faintest smile. "Brother, it's fine," he said softly in the most relaxed manner. "It's gonna be okay. Everything is going to work out alright. I'm going to come back, we're going to get this Martian, & we're going to defeat the Dominators."

Tim stared up at Richard, still wearing wearing worry in his eyes. Before he could speak, he felt someone approach him from behind. He turned to find Jaime walking up to the two, smiling softly. Richard sighed in relief. He didn't know how much longer he could pretend to not be nervous about traveling to a parallel universe.

"Hey, Richard," Jaime said. "I, uh, I've been meaning to tell you something."

Richard nodded. "Okay," he said. "Let's talk."

Jaime & Richard both walked away from the computer dashboard, allowing them to talk with more discretion. Richard sighed. "So, what, you're asking if I'm giving you a codename for the field?" Richard said jokingly.

Jaime let out a soft laugh. "Yeah, no, um...it's about that," Jaime said. "About everything. I need to leave. The Scarab wants me to do something."