Chapter VIII: What We Do

Richard laid on his bed with his legs crossed & rested his hands on his laptop. He felt his fingers itching to begin tapping on the keyboard, but Richard wasn't sure what his next move was. He wanted to find the Flash, but, clearly there was some alteration in time that caused Richard to encounter more than one Flash in his life. He needed to find the original one, the one who could fix what was happening to everyone in his life. He didn't know how to go about it.

Richard sighed. He just wanted to get things back to the way they were.

Richard opened up the program that Harper Row had designed for him years ago on his laptop. It was a program that could hack into virtually any database. Of course, it was limited to a certain extent, but maybe it could be of use. Richard opened up the search bar feature of the program & entered the keyword "Flash". Nothing seemed to come up. Richard bit his lip, then entered "Barry Allen" as a keyword. Nothing. Richard groaned & entered "multiverse". An article written by a Professor Martin Stein appeared. The man lived in Central City. Richard nodded, then began searching "Martin Stein" as a keyword. However, there were no records of the man anywhere for almost a year. It was as though the man vanished.

Richard grunted. He couldn't find anything on the Flash through his normal methods of research. He couldn't think of anyone else who would be of actual help to him, aside from the scrawny kid he met in Central City the other day. But...the Flash was a part of the League. Maybe the League would know something. Maybe, if Richard explained what was happening, & how the Flash caused Cheyenne's return, they could fix it. They could make Barry fix it.

The League was out of the question, though. Bruce made it very clear that he didn't want Richard up there anymore.

Maybe Richard could hack his way into the server, getting Bruce's data from the Watchtower. After all, he had his own private files on each member of the League.

Richard began typing away. He activated the hacking feature of the software, readying the program for hacking. He began searching for a way for the program to be linked into the League's Watchtower servers, but...nothing came up. It was as though the Watchtower's servers were nonexistent. Richard cursed to himself. He needed to find a way to circumvent the Watchtower's security, or whatever was keeping Richard out.

Richard attempted to access the Watchtower database a second time for good measure, but it was still restricted. Richard sighed. He thought Harper's computer program she installed would have been good enough to hack into any system. Then again, they hadn't prepared the program for the Watchtower's system. Maybe...maybe he should just ask her for help.

Richard reached for his cell phone & dialed Harper Row's number. The phone call rang for a few moments, then the ringing stopped.

"Hello?" a young boy answered on the other end.

"Oh, um...hi. Is Harper there?"

"Yeah, one sec," the boy said, calling out to Harper from aside. After a few moments, the speaker switched to Harper. "Dick?" Harper asked.

Richard cleared his throat. "Harper. Hey," Richard responded awkwardly.

Harper sighed. "Dick, it feels like it's been so long," she said softly. "How are you?"

Richard clicked his tongue. "I...I don't know, Harper. I really don't know."

"What do you mean?" Harper asked.

Richard shook his head. "So much has happened, Harper, & I'm just not sure I'm ready to go into it right now."

"Oh, okay," Harper said.