Chapter XX: Chosen

Richard woke up cold. His back was against a hard, metallic surface. He shivered at the cool air & even colder metal pressed against his back. He felt tight iron clamps over his chest, restraining him. He was unable to shift or move at all. Richard felt his bare feet struggle to inch their way out of his capture, but he was also restrained with a metal clamp by his feet. Richard panicked. He glanced around him, seeing nothing but darkness. A light above him shone down, revealing his condition. He appeared to be unharmed. Richard was suddenly even more terrified. They hadn't harmed him yet, but...they were going to do it now. Whatever was going to happen, Richard would now be awake for it.

Suddenly, Richard heard a soft humming vibration from below him. He felt his entire body shift, pulling his body low on his back. He was being rotated onto his back. Or was he being lifted up from his back? Richard's mind began to race. Had he lost his sense of direction? Where the hell was he?

"Begin observational procedure," echoed a familiar voice in Richard's mind. Richard felt his heart raced. It was a Dominator. What had happened when they brought Richard aboard their ship? Richard's memory from the last few hours was foggy. Had it been hours? Or was it days? What the hell happened to him?

Suddenly, Richard experienced an electrical shock coursing through his entire body. It started from his head, making its way down to his feet. Once the bolt of electricity went through, he began to breathe heavier. He felt his heart beat faster along. He smelt a burning scent. It was most likely him, burning from the tormenting electrical shock. Then it happened again. And again. And again. And again.

Richard gritted his teeth, enduring the pain. He had no idea how long this electrical torture went on for. It was long enough for Richard to feel as though his mind was being stripped away from him. Richard fought to cling to the memories that he did have. The good times he did spend with Bruce, with Barbara, with Cheyenne, & with the Titans. He began seeing people's faces, but, lost recollection of their names. There was...Garfield. Rachel was there. Victor was there. Ko...Kor...the redhead with the beautiful green eyes. Kori, that was it. He remembered her now. He remembered Jacob...no, Jason. And Tim. He remembered Ronald, the archer. He remembered the Speedster, Wally, except...he was ginger. Richard knew he hadn't met a ginger before. What was happening to him?

Suddenly, Richard felt himself being forced underwater. Richard panicked, struggling to free himself, but the metallic machine that he was clamped onto kept him from making such movements. Richard knew he couldn't break free, not anytime soon. Richard began slowing his breathing, keeping his mouth shut. He held his breath, not allowing any oxygen to escape his mouth. He felt his pulse slow down, & his heart slowly began to calm down. Suddenly, more memories of people he knew in his life flooded back into his mind, washing over him. Richard felt comfortable suddenly. He felt...relaxed. These familiar faces brought a good feeling to Richard.

Richard felt himself begin to feel drowsy as his eyes fluttered shut. Richard struggled to keep them open, despite seeing absolutely nothing in his surroundings. Where was he? He knew he was on the ship of the Dominators, & that he was being tortured, but...how was he experiencing this? He couldn't see anything. What was happening to him? A million questions raced through his mind. What was the plan? How would he escape? Could he escape? Would he ever see his friends again? Would he ever see Cheyenne again? Or Roy? Would he see Tim & Jason? Would he see Logan, or Victor, or Rachel? Would he see Kori or Conner again? What about Barbara? He wanted to see her again. What about Bruce? Would he see anyone again?

Suddenly, the machine began to whir & buzz, & Richard was hoisted up from his aquatic hell, bringing him back into a place of darkness & oxygen. He was very much alive. He glanced around, & he could finally see glowing lights slowly illuminate the room he was in. In front of him were four Dominators, tall & slender, staring back at Richard. Richard looked down & saw nothing in front of him, other than his bare feet. He was placed in a gray pair of pants, but, his chest seemed exposed. He didn't look wet...or burnt...what the hell had just happened to him?

"The human was correct," echoed the Dominator. "He could endure an immense amount of pain."

"The human was able to survive underwater for seven minutes. That is truly a feat," spoke another Dominator within Richard's mind. "He does not even obtain the filaments that are present within aquatic organisms."

Richard stared back at the Dominators. He knew what they were doing now. They were testing him. They tortured him for data about his endurance capabilities...to see if Richard was lying about himself. To see if he really was the ideal human specimen.

Suddenly, the Dominators began speaking to one another out loud in their strange native tongue. Richard struggled to understand what it was that they were saying, but he knew he wouldn't figure it out. Whatever they were saying, it wasn't something they wanted Richard to hear in his mind. Unless they were addressing him, the Dominators didn't have to tell Richard anything. He was their prisoner.

One Dominator, larger than the rest, stepped forth towards Richard. "Throughout the universe, there was a tremendous shift," the voice began to say. "This shift altered things. It altered reality itself. History changed. People changed. Time changed. Species that should've never existed are now some of the most ruthless races in the universe. We are now threatened by Apokolips & the Reach. The Earth, however, falls in the center of these threats."

"Why is Earth a threat?" Richard asked. "Because of the metahumans?"

"Yes," the voice answered. "These metahumans pose as a threat in an inevitable conflict with the rest of the universe, one of which poses as an even larger threat. The one responsible of altering reality. Its name echoes throughout the cosmos. It goes by the name Barry Allen."

Richard felt his heart skip a beat. The Dominators knew about Flashpoint. The alterations to the fabric of reality was felt across the universe, felt by these Dominators. That's why the Dominators invaded Earth. They came because of Barry. Barry Allen brought the Dominators to Earth.

"There was another echo that has come across our universe. This echo is one of a legend. It is the legend of the Gray Sun. The sun that resembled a winged being with the ability of flight. The sun that is loved by many, but lost the one that has its heart echoed out to us. Everyone who felt the pulsating shift in reality heard this echo, this name that was called out to us. Species have searched galaxies for this sun, from our kind, to the Reach, to the Kroloteans, & even the Tamaraneans. We expected to find a celestial being, some God within the stars. Instead, this echo led us to Earth." The Dominator approached Richard slowly. "We realized that we have finally found the Gray Sun."

"Gray Sun!" chanted the other Dominators. The harmony in their voices frightened Richard, making him feel a sense of panic. "Gray Sun! Gray Sun! Gray Sun!"

"You are that echo, Richard Grayson. You are the legend that the universe called out. The one that shall find love, experience betrayal, & see death in your life. You are the Constant. We arrived to Earth & sent out a signal, one which you brought your metahumans to. You are the Constant we searched for. Now we have you."

Richard thought back to what he had just heard. He remembered someone referring to Richard as the Constant. Was it Jaime Reyes? No, it wasn't. It was the Scarab. The blue beetle on his spine took over his mind months ago, providing a cryptic message for Richard. It referred to skies opening for those who would dominate over him. It was clear that it was a reference to the Dominators. The Scarab described them coming for the one who controls time & alters realities. That was the Flash. The Scarab knew about Barry Allen. Finally, the Scarab said that it would fall upon Richard to unite them, & that he was the Constant. He would unite somebody...possibly the Titans. Hopefully, the Titans were now free, & Nolan had shut off the mind controlling generator. But the Constant...the Scarab said that he was the Constant. What constant? Why would the alien beetle & the Dominators know Richard as a constant? A constant of what? Before Richard could ask himself any other questions, he felt himself grow drowsy. He felt his eyes finally shut closed, as his sense of smell, touch, sight, & sound began to fade away.