Chapter XIX: Enemy of My Enemy

Richard brought the bike to a stop on a secluded road in the woods. How the hell had he come this far out of Jump City? It looked as though there would be some sort of werewolf that would appear out of the woods to harm Richard. Richard scoffed at the thought. There was a much larger threat than werewolves.

Richard brought his hand up to his ear. "You still there, Babs?"

"Yeah," Barbara answered. "Start heading North off-road. You're going to need to actually go through the woods."

Richard sighed. He nodded in compliance & began trekking uphill, into the woods. He gazed up at the sky. The sun was beginning to set again. Richard & the Titans had literally been out on the streets for almost two days now, & it felt as though nothing had been accomplished. This was not okay. In fact, the team was most certainly far from okay. Richard had abandoned the team twice already. First, they came out brainwashed, & now, as he was taking a stroll through the woods, they could very well be dead. Richard shuddered at the thought of them dying on him. All of the people he brought back. The people who trusted him, & those who knew not to, they would all be dead. The mere idea of their deaths weighed down over Richard. He couldn't let that happen.

"What did they look like?" Barbara suddenly asked through the earpiece in Richard's ear.

Richard stopped in his tracks. He glanced around him for a moment. "What did WHO look like?"

"The aliens," Barbara answered. "Were they, like, E.T. aliens?"

Richard sighed. "No, they're the kind of aliens that ripped a hole through John Hurt's chest."

Richard heard Barbara gasp on the other end of the earpiece. "Oh my gosh," she muttered.

Richard sighed. He continued to make his trail through the woods, struggling to find his footing as he went uphill. He cleared his throat. "Barbara...I'm lost."

"Just keep making your way straight, & I'll let you know when you're at the right spot," Barbara said.

"No, that's not what I mean." Richard bit his lip, trying to find the right wording. "What...what are you doing? Like, you're helping me, but...how?"

Barbara stayed silent for a moment. "What are you asking me, Dick? How did I manage to track you down & keep surveillance on you & your team?"

Richard nodded, taking another step through the dark woods. "Yeah, I guess."

Barbara sighed. "Well...I mean, after everything that's happened, this...this became my hobby. I lost my life doing what we did as Robin & Batgirl, so...I made a new life for myself. I'm doing the same work, fighting crime, but...I'm just using a keyboard instead of my fists."

Richard scoffed. "So you're a hacker now or something?"

"Well, yeah, I guess so."

Richard shook his head, glancing around for any signs of some sort of alien generator. He saw nothing. The sun was setting lower. Soon it'd be pitch black. "Barbara, I just don't see how you could've gotten into this. This doesn't seem right."

"Well, it was my hacking into that warehouse's security feed that led me to find your Titans, so, you should be thanking me!"

Richard was caught off guard by Barbara's sudden ferocity in her tone of voice. He had never heard her speak so angrily & harshly. Richard knew that this was genuine anger, & not brainwashing done by aliens. No, she was truly mad at Richard.