Chapter XXIII: Hail Mary

When Richard's eyes opened, he found himself gazing up at a bright blue sky. He saw the clouds slowly moving across, as if fluffy boats drifting towards something peaceful & beautiful. Richard felt a sense of calmness wash over him. He had almost forgotten what he had just endured in the last day. Then he remembered the spaceship, & the Dominators, & all of the things he saw when he was being experimented on. Being reunited with Barbara & his parents, only to have to leave Barbara & relive his parents' death again...it was a heart wrenching experience. Richard wanted to just forget it all. He stared up at the sky once more. He felt his lips curl into a faint smile. He had this moment of peace. This moment to be grateful that he did, in fact, spend a few fleeting moments with his parents again. But it was all over. He had a job to do.

Richard sat up, feeling hard gravel underneath the palms of his hands. He saw his legs & torso in his Nightwing armor, trying to recall the moment when he changed into his suit. He glanced around the surroundings, noticing the edges of the rooftop he was sitting on. How did he get there? Where was he?

Richard noticed Rachel, sitting over the ledge of the rooftop to his right. Richard groaned as he sat up, walking over to the young cloaked woman. He bent down low, swinging his legs over the edge of the building. He sat down, letting out a deep sigh. Rachel turned to Richard. "Hey," she said softly.

Richard nodded, glancing over to Rachel. "Hey." Richard surveyed the city around him, taking in the familiar landmarks. The Olympian Hotel & the Iceberg Lounge were a few blocks away, while he spotted the Gotham Academy preparatory school a few streets away. Then Richard noticed the streets. Cars were crashed into buildings & poles, while street lights were off. Buildings were dark inside, with no lights inside shining. The city, despite it being daylight, was dark & empty...& quiet. "What happened?" Richard breathed.

Rachel sighed. "Gotham suffered a blackout," she explained. "It was the Dominators. They...they drained the city's power when they crash landed here. They landed in Coast City too, but alien activity has been scarce in the last few hours. Gotham...they underwent a citywide panic."

Richard cursed to himself. "Where did the people go?"

Rachel shook her head. "Evacuated. At least, they tried. GCPD tried to get most of the civilians out, but then there was an attack again. Dominators came out, & the police tried to hold them off. A lot of people got out, but a lot also didn't make it."

Richard felt his chest suddenly grow heavy. He felt a sudden tingling sensation wash over him; one that weighed heavily over his shoulders. He felt numb in his fingertips. How many had died? How many policemen were dead? Was Jim Gordon dead? Did Barbara make it? What the hell happened?

Rachel smiled, placing a reassuring hand on Richard's knee. "The Titans are here, Dick. Roy is leading one unit, surveying the city for more civilians, & Tim is leading another. Everything is under control for the moment."

Richard nodded slowly. The weight lifted up from his shoulders, as his anxiety was washed by comfort. Richard felt good that his team had managed to be saved from their brainwashing. Nolan Drake had really pulled through when Richard asked him to. He was shocked to know that the man was worthy enough to save his team. But the Titans, banding together without Richard to save Gotham was...amazing. He grew less worried, knowing that the Titans managed to take initiative in such a seemingly hopeless situation. They did what no one else could in the time of despair. They took care of the city while he was away. Richard smiled to himself. Maybe, just maybe...the Titans would get back together, once all of this was over. Maybe they could work like they did before. In fact...they might just fine without Richard.

Suddenly, a green bird flew over the rooftop & grew into a familiar form. Richard watched as Logan landed on the rooftop, panting as though he had just run a marathon. His eyes were big & frightened. "Guys, they're here," he called.