Chapter IV: One of Us

Richard held Cheyenne's hand as the two walked up the steps of the monumental building known as the Hall of Justice. It was officially reopened to the public after the fall of the original Hall, along with the Justice Society of America. The Hall was redesigned as a museum, showcasing monuments dedicated to the original Justice Society members. However, what the public didn't know about was the elevator that teleported straight into an orbiting satellite above the Earth called the Watchtower. Richard was honestly a little nervous about returning again. Part of him didn't want to come back, but, he needed answers about Cheyenne. They would help.

Hopefully Bruce wasn't around.

The two entered the Hall & walked across the lobby, which was now furnished & full of the monuments & replicas of fallen heroes. Richard brought Cheyenne to the elevator & pressed the open command. As the doors slid open, Richard brought her in & waited for the doors to close shut. Richard pressed a combination of buttons on the number pad indicating each floor. The code revealed a slit within the wall of the elevator that opened up. Within that slit, a red light beamed out, scanning Richard. "Recognize: Robin," a robotic voice echoed within the elevator. "Enacting passenger override."

Cheyenne raised an eyebrow. "A talking elevator?"

Richard nodded. "Yeah, it used to be a little floating droid, but the League transferred the droid's software into the Hall & Watchtower's system. They didn't want to risk losing a perfectly good droid."

"Oh," Cheyenne said. "And...'passenger override'. Is that me?"

Richard nodded. "Well, yeah. You're not a League member, so I had to override the system."

Cheyenne sighed nervously. She scratched her head. "Is the League...nice?"

Richard scoffed, letting out a soft but sarcastic laugh. He glanced at Cheyenne, who looked away worryingly. Richard shook his head. "Don't worry, Cheyenne. It's really just the dark guy in the cowl that you need to worry about. Everyone else is just strange."

Cheyenne nodded. She began to glance around the elevator. She noticed something. "Dick, are we moving?"

Richard nodded. "Yeah, but they've upgraded the system. It's by boom tube, now." Cheyenne stared dumbfoundedly at Richard, who sighed. "It's a teleporter, basically."

Cheyenne's eyes grew wide as she nodded & stared out in front of her. She tightened her grip on Richard's hand, squeezing harder. Richard reached for her hand with his free hand & held them together. He brought her hands up to his lips & kissed them. "Cheyenne, it'll be okay."

Before she could respond, the red light within the elevator wall began to hum. "Recognize: Robin," the robotic voice said. Richard caught sight of Cheyenne's eyes lighting up at the familiar name. Richard & Cheyenne had shared an interest in robins during their time bonding in their childhood. The elevator doors opened wide to reveal a brightly lit hall.

"Whoa," Cheyenne said as Richard began to walk forward with Cheyenne by his side. He walked slowly, making sure that the atmospheric change wouldn't affect her, or that the bright white hall wouldn't hurt her vision. So far, she seemed calm enough.

The two walked through the threshold, revealing the wide, circular hub center of the Watchtower. At the center of this hub was a circular computer dashboard. Over to the sides were glass walls, revealing the scenery outside of the Watchtower satellite. The Earth & the Sun & the stars were all visible from where they stood.

"Wow," Cheyenne said, approaching the glass walls. As she stepped away from Richard, he walked over towards the center computer system. He pressed lightly on it, which activated a holographic home screen. It showed which League members were in the Watchtower. J'onn, Barry, & Clark were aboard. Bruce was too, though.