Chapter Fourteen

Riley: I have made my decision.

Lucas & Maya: Already?

Lucas: It's only been like 10 minutes, you decided already?

Riley: Yes and please listen.

Lucas: Yes ma'am.

Maya: "ma'am"

Riley: I choose friends.

Riley: Let me explain why.

Lucas: Okay.

RileyFirst of all, we just seem more like close friends. When we are around each other the conversation comes easy, but the dating part is extremely awkward.

Lucas: I agree.

Riley: It seemed like every time we kissed there was no spark, no connection.

Wow Riley, calm down a bit.

Riley: Second, I could kind of tell you were starting to feel this way. When you couldn't say you loved I knew that there was something wrong. But I think you love me as a friend.

Lucas: I do. You are an amazing friend.

Riley: Friends?

Lucas: Friends.

Maya: So why did you need me here?

Riley: I will tell you later.

What?

Lucas: Well Riley, I think Maya and me should try to sleep for a little.

Maya: ^

Riley: Ok sleep tight.

I close my eyes again and feel Lucas playing with my hair again. I'm sure I am an inconvenience to him right now, but he is making the best of it.

"Maya," Lucas whispers.

"What?" I ask with my eyes half closed.

"Sorry to wake you, but there was a wreck so we will be stuck even longer," he says.

"Oh that's just wonderful," I say burying my head into the pillow.

"Do you wanna watch a movie or something?" he asks.

I sit up and look over at him.

"On what and what movie?" I ask.

"My phone, and you pick," he says.

"Do you have the first Shattered Sunset on there? Since we are seeing the second Saturday we can see this one just in case anything is relevant," I say.

"Actually I do," he says.

"Yay," I say with a smile and a very quiet clap.

He hands me an earbud and then starts the movie. I scoot closer to him and rest my head on his shoulder. He doesn't seem to mind because he lowers his head to rest gently on top of mine. This doesn't feel real. Maybe I should stop, but friends do this all the time. And for right now, that is all we are.

When I finally get home it's 2:18. My mom is probably asleep because the door is locked all the lights are off. There is no way I'm getting in. Thankfully Lucas decided to be a nice person and walk with me. He acts like we just went on a date or something.