Chapter 2

29 Days before Valentine’s Day

        “Sofia! Over here!” I called, she waved and made her way over across the classroom.

        “Hey, Avery,” she paused and played with her fingers. “So...” she began, I instantly didn’t like where this was headed. “I... I can’t be your partner for the art project. I’m transferring next week.” She said as quickly as she could.

        My jaw dropped to the floor. “B-but...who am I going to work with?” I guess, I could work on the project alone...That's not that bad, right?

        “Avery,” Mrs. Holmes interrupted and Sofia quickly made her exit. “I know that Ms. Spence is transferring, what a pity." She glanced at Sofia, but didn't seem all that bothered to know that she was leaving. “But, it seems that someone was absent last lesson and therefore wasn’t assigned a partner. You’ll be working with them.”

Ugh. Just when I thought I could do things my way.

        “And who would I be working with?” I asked, trying to disguise the annoyance in my voice.

        “You’ll be working with Mr. Meyer.”

        “Dylan? Oh hell n-” I started to argue but she held up her hand.

        “No buts, excuses, no anything. You’ll be working together and that is that.” With that being said, she spun on her heels and walked away only to stop mid-stride. “And Avery?”

        I turned, “Yes?”

        “I expect good results.” Mrs. Holmes smiled evilly, as if she knew how annoyed I was.

Great. I had a perfectly good partner but she’s transferring. And now I’m stuck with Dylan. Mr. “I’m so hot that I can get away with anything” douchebag.

Kill me.

***

As expected, he was late to class. Half way through the lesson, he walked in, looking as arrogant as ever with his perfect looking hair and bright blue eyes. I couldn’t help but scoff. He probably spent more time fixing his hair and looking in the mirror than I did.

        “Avery!” He sat down next to me and leaned back on his chair.

        I rolled my eyes and kept my head down. "Dylan." I made kt clear that I didn't want him anywhere near me. Hell, I didn't even want him breathing the same air.

        “So, since we’re working together. What do you want me to do?” I could practically hear the grin on his face. His over cheerfulness annoyed me.

        My jaw clenched. “Nothing. You don’t have to do anything. I’ll do the work and put both our names on it.” I answered coldly.

I didn’t want him to ruin this for me. I may hate the theme but I’m not failing this class.

I don't want to fail. I'm not going to fail. I repeated in my head like a mantra, desperately trying to keep restrain my rage and annoyance.

        A split second later, his arm was around my shoulders and I stiffened. “Are you sure? Because we are partners.” Dylan whispered in my hair.

        “I’m sure,” I said through gritted teeth. “Now, get off me.” I pulled my sleeve over my hand and slowly took his arm off me, careful to not make any contact with him.

Who knows what kinds of diseases he could infect me with?

        “Alright then.” Dylan leaned back on his chair again and crossed his arms under his head.