Chapter 13

16 Days before Valentine’s Day

My eyes opened abruptly and I quickly jumped out of bed. “It’s Tuesday,” I sighed and smiled widely. I hurriedly took a shower, got changed and pulled my hair into a messy bun before running down the stairs and into the kitchen to eat breakfast.

My Mum raised an eyebrow towards me while I took a bite out of a piece of toast. “Well, someone’s in a good mood today.” She pointed out and bit her lip to refrain from smiling.

I shrugged, “Today is a day to be happy,” I stated and resumed eating.

“I’d love to hear all about your date, later.” She emphasised the word ‘date’ and winked. I shook my head in embarrassment. “I have to get to work early today. So I’ll see you after school.”

“Fine,” I replied and waved goodbye while she walked out of the front door.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and my heart leaped as I grinned when I saw Jason’s name flash on the screen.

I’m driving you to school. See you in 10 minutes –Jason

Okay I replied and shoved my phone back in my pocket before swiftly running upstairs to brush my teeth and grabbing my bag from my bedroom floor. I was waiting for Jason when I suddenly remembered that Dylan would come to drive me to school. So I sent him a text:

No need to drive me to school today. I already a have a ride –Avery

As soon as I sent the text to Dylan, I heard a car pulling into my driveway and I walked out the door, locking it behind me. Jason was already holding the door open for me and I walked towards him.

“Good morning,” he greeted and kissed my cheek.

“Morning,” I smiled and jumped into the front seat.

The car ride was quiet but not an awkward silence, it was comfortable. There wasn’t any need to fill the silence with conversation. When Jason pulled his car into the car park, I suddenly realised how much attention we would attract. School is full of gossiping girls who won’t start talking about things even when they aren’t even remotely important. People will make a big deal out of things and stick their noses where they don’t belong. It’s like none of them know the meaning of ‘Privacy’. I don’t know about anyone else but I’d like to keep my privacy and I’d prefer not to hear my name coming out of random girls’ mouths and I’ll pass on the constant staring.

I was too lost in my own thoughts and anxiety that I didn’t notice that the car had stopped and Jason was holding my door open for me.

Jason waved his hand in front of my face to get my attention, “Hello! Earth to Avery!”

I snapped out of my daze, confused for a few seconds. “Oh! Yeah, sorry. My mind wandered.” I smiled sheepishly and he chuckled.

“As long as it wandered into Jason dream land.” He joked and took my hand.

I raised an eyebrow at him, “Jason dream land? Really?”

“Yes, really.” He answered with a cheeky grin.

“Ha! More like Zac Efron dream land.” I teased. “Or Logan Lerman or maybe Dylan O’brien...” I babbled.

We were getting closer and closer towards the school entrance, closer to the teenage feeding frenzy.

Jason frowned for a moment but quickly looked ahead, towards the school building.”I don’t care where your mind wanders. It can wander to every corner of the universe. As long as your heart doesn’t because that needs to stay right here.” He glanced back at me and smiled.

I nudged him with my elbow. “Yeah, okay. This isn’t a movie, this is reality. So don’t bother with the cheesy lines.” I said with a wink.

“It was worth a shot.” He winked back and squeezed my hand lightly.

“Here goes nothing,” I muttered under my breath.

As soon as we walked through the front entrance, there it was.  My worst nightmare. People’s heads turned to face us and whispers broke out like a plague. Within seconds, there were tons of eyes staring at us. Some girls giggled and waved at Jason when we walked past them and gave me an evil glare. Some gave me a look of disgust? Almost like ‘who does she think she is?’ Most were just curious and a few couldn’t care less and carried on walking.

Jason must’ve sensed my discomfort and looked at me with concern. “Are you okay?”

I nodded, “Yeah,” I lied. “Dandy.”

“Did you just use the word ‘dandy’?”

“Yes, got a problem with it?” I narrowed my eyes at him jokingly.

“Nope,” he shrugged. “I just think it’s a funny word.” He chuckled.

I received more devil glares when Jason laughed. It was strange how they some of them seem to despise me all of a sudden. Just yesterday, they didn’t notice my existence. Well, some of them did but there were fewer glares then.

We continued to push past the crowd which seemed to avoid us like we were infectious. People kept their distance, leaning on lockers, just staring. And their eyes followed us.

Now I know how a goldfish must feel...

And then there he was.

Dylan.

He was stood over by his locker with Aaron no surprise there; they’re like stuck together like Siamese twins- and Emma -Predictable. She’ll be wherever Aaron is.

Dylan saw me the moment I saw him. Our eyes met for a split second before he frowned at Jason. I glanced up to Jason to see his reaction and he was smirking. Then I looked back at Dylan who was now looking at my hand intertwined with Jason’s.

Emma soon spotted us and squealed before running towards us and suffocating us both with one of her death hugs. She eventually let go of Jason and I and let us breathe. “So...how’s the new couple doing?”

Jason turned to me and gave me a look, she’s crazy, but I just rolled my eyes. “We’re good,” I answered.

“By the way, I totally ship Javery, just saying.” She winked.

This time it wasn’t me who answered, “Javery?” Dylan asked, narrowing his eyes at Jason and then to our hands and back again.

“Yeah, it’s a combination of Jason and Avery. Duh!” Emma scoffed, shaking her head as if to say, what an idiot.

“I know that.” Dylan replied irately. “I mean when did that happen? I was only gone for a day and that was because I was sick!” he exclaimed.

Jason was about to say something but Emma butted in. “Well, while you were sick...this...” She gestured to Jason and I. “Happened. Believe it or not, a lot can happen in one day, Dylan. And sometimes, that one day is all you need.”

“Emma has a point. Sometimes that’s all it takes. One day.” Jason said smugly and Dylan’s jaw tightened.

“We have to go now. We have...er...class.” Aaron said hurriedly, grabbing Dylan by the shoulders and dragging him away.

“Well, see ya! I’ll see you at lunch.” Emma chirped and gave me one last hug before catching up to Aaron and Dylan.

“That went better than I thought,” Jason shrugged.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“I was expecting Dylan to punch me or something.” He explained simply.

“Oh.”

Jason smiled at me and shook his head, “I told you. We don’t get on. We want the same things.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Who ships #Javery? And who doesn't?

{Unedited}

Thanks for reading!

Vote and Comment. :)