Chapter 8 - Part 1

20 days before Valentine’s Day

I don’t know why I didn’t tell Emma about what Jason had said yesterday. It’s not like I didn’t get any chances because I did. I had plenty of chances to tell her.

But I didn’t.

I could’ve told her when we drove to my house, or when we were watching TV, or when we were doing homework or maybe when we were eating dinner. Or even when I waved goodbye as she drove away.

Why didn’t I tell her?

My head was beginning to hurt from the inner turmoil and it was only 7:30 in the morning. I haven’t even stepped into school yet.  I continued to push my food around my plate and buried my head in my hands.

“Avery, sweetie, are you okay?” My mother asked, putting a warm hand on my shoulder and then my forehead, immediately checking me for a fever.

I sighed heavily, “I’m fine, Mum. I’m just tired, that’s all. It’s been a long week.” I answered.

She chuckled lightly, “Tell me about it.” She gave me one last worried glance before walking over to the sink to wash the dishes.

“At least, it’s Friday which means that I can relax over the week-end. Fancy a trip to the spa?” I offered.

She kept her head down, her brown hair curtaining her face. “Actually, I’m working this week-end. I’m on duty with Andrea again.” She paused for a moment before half-turning to face me.

“I know that look...” I said. This can’t be good.

“I’m going to have to ask you to a favour,” she started and I grimaced. “It’s only a tiny little favour.” She pleaded, and dried her soapy hands.

“Fine. What now?” I frowned.

“Dylan, Aaron and Chris will be here for the week-end.” She said quickly and my jaw dropped to the ground. “It’s fine! I’m going to be here too, just at night. When everyone is sleeping.” She hastily added. “And Emma can come too!”

I tried to smile and pretend to be okay with it for her sake but my smile faltered and I probably looked constipated. “Okay...” I wanted to cry so badly. “But who’s Chris?”

“He’s Andrea’s nephew, it’s fine. He’s a nice boy; I’ve met him, very polite.” She smiled, nodding to herself. “Just think of it this way, you’ll get more work done for your Art project!”

Sigh.

More people to drive me insane. I swear they’ll be the death of me.

“Great. That’s great. Should be a fun week-end then.” I mumbled sadly.

“That’s the spirit!” My Mum chirped and craned her neck towards the window to see Dylan’s car pulling in our driveway. “Now, get going. Dylan is here. You wouldn’t want to be late for school, do you?”

I gave her thumbs up trying to be as enthusiastic as I possibly could. “Okay, see you later.” I shrugged and grabbed my bag from the corner.

She gave me a warm smile and hugged me, “Thanks, honey.” She whispered softly into my hair. I hugged her back, “Oh! And I forgot to tell you. Your fun week-end starts tonight, not tomorrow because I’m working late.”

My arms immediately dropped awkwardly to my sides.

Help me.

“Great!” I forced my lips to form a smile which quickly faded from my face as my lips started to quiver as soon I turned away from my Mum and she ushered me out of the house.