Chapter 7

20 days before Valentine’s Day

It’s Thursday morning and I had butterfly stitches on my left brow to cover a cut from hitting the ground when I fell. I walked through the door into Art and immediately caught Dylan’s eye, who quickly stood up from his seat.

        “Avery.” He said cautiously as if waiting for me to throw a tantrum, “are you alright?” he asked with a wince when he saw the cut on my brow.

        “I’m fine,” I answered, “considering you kicked a football and hit my head. I’m great! ” I muttered sarcastically.

        “That was an accident,” he argued. His jaw tightened as he explained. “I wasn’t aiming for your head.”

        “Yeah, okay you missed. But thanks to your little ‘accident’, I had a mild concussion and got this,” I pointed to my brow. “It’s probably going to scar. Great. If you wanted to give me scar so badly, you should’ve aimed for my forehead.”

        “Again, it wasn’t intentional, but why do you want a scar on your forehead?” Dylan asked in confusion, his eyebrow raising in question.

        I shrugged slightly, “Then it can be kind of similar to Harry Potter’s.” I grinned at him.

        “I’m guessing that I’m forgiven?”

        “You can say that. But, I will get even.” I stuck my tongue out and he chuckled.

        “Whatever. Let’s just get this project done already.”

        “Okay.” I replied, sinking down into my seat and grabbed a pencil.

        “Just for the record, I didn’t miss. Your head is just so big that it blocked the way.” He joked and I elbowed his stomach.

        “Shut up.” I told him.

*** *** *** *** ***

It was lunch and I was starving. I had Biology for third period which really drained my brain power. Mrs.Coates was shouting at the entire class for the whole hour, I don’t know why. I think she finally lost her hearing and didn’t realise that she was shouting.

I was just about to sit down when I saw Emma dart through the other side of the canteen and she quickly dropped her tray on the table and hugged me tightly.

“Avery! You’re back! Oh my goodness, are you okay?” Emma exclaimed and finally released me from her death hug. She held me by the shoulders and examined me from head to toe, looking for any serious damage.

        “Crap! What happened to your head? Oh my God! Does it hurt? I thought you said you were okay?” She fired questions at me, shaking my shoulders.

        “Emma!” I half-shouted to shut her up then I looked her in eyes and gripped her shoulders tightly. “I’m. Fine. Calm. The. Hell. Down.” I say slowly, shaking her with every word. She looked at me with wide eyes as I pushed her down to the bench.

        Emma took a deep breath, “Okay, sorry, I’m calm.”

        “Good.” I said, sitting on the opposite side of the table.

        “But, seriously. Are you okay?”

        “Yes! Emma, you called me like a thousand times while I was off school. And like I’ve told you a thousand times before, I am fine.”

        “I was making sure.” She smiled sheepishly and pointed at my brow, “But that looks painful.”

        I chuckled a bit, “It was but it doesn’t hurt as much now. It just sort of stings, like when you get a paper cut on your finger except it’s on your eyebrow.”