Chapter 5

26 Days before Valentine’s Day

        “Avery!” My mum yelled from somewhere downstairs. She’s been yelling for me to get out of bed for the past ten minutes.

        “I’m coming! Jeeze!” I shouted back, crawling out of bed.

It’s bad enough that I was up all night finishing piles of homework. And by piles, I don’t mean just two or three things. I mean actual, piles. I swear my teachers don’t get tired of handing out homework. You’d think that they wouldn’t want to have so many to mark but it’s like they actually enjoy marking a thousand pieces of homework sheets.

I don’t even know why she insisted on me going downstairs. She knows that it’s Saturday and it’s only 7AM. It’s too early to wake up.

I made my way down the stairs, stumbling with each step. It was pretty clear that I was still half asleep but my biggest concern right now was that I’d fall.

        “What is so important that you had to wake me up so early?” I asked sleepily when I reached the bottom of the stairs. I rubbed my eyes and waited for them to adjust to the light.

        “I just wanted to remind you that Emma is coming later.” She answered. Seriously? That’s the ‘important’ thing she had to wake me up for?

        “I know that she is coming. She is my best friend and I was the one who invited her in the first place.” I say, slightly annoyed. I’m not a morning person and I need my sleep!

        “There’s food in the fridge, so you can make yourself breakfast. And you and Emma can just order pizza tonight while you watch a movie.”

        “I know. I know.” I muttered. Then I suddenly I noticed that I was going to have to make myself breakfast and my Mum was wearing her work clothes. “Where are you going?” I asked curiously.  “I thought it was your day off.”

        She reached for her keys on the table, “I know but the hospital called and they’re under staffed. Andrea and I have been called in so I’ll be working all day. Don’t wait up for me for dinner. I’ll be home late.” Someone honked a car horn outside and she glanced at her watch, “Andrea is here, I’m running a bit late already. I’ll see you later, hun, okay?”

        “Okay, bye.” I say still slightly annoyed about being woken up early on a week-end. “You could’ve just left a note on the fridge, you know.”

        She hurried past me, her brown hair moving side to side as she rushed to the door. “Dylan, is staying here for the day.” She ran outside and shut the door after her before I could even respond.

Seconds later, the door bell rang. Huh. Maybe she came back to tell me that she was just messing around.

        I opened the door and found a pair of bright blue eyes staring back at me. “Avery!” he exclaimed.

        “Argh!” I screamed out and shut the door on his face.

He started knocking on the door and asked to be let in. I ignored him and layed down on the sofa in the living room. I was trying to fall back asleep but he wouldn’t stop knocking. Ugh. Can’t I leave him outside?

No, Avery. That would be wrong. My conscience tells me.

I’ll keep him in the shed and leave him a bowl of water and a few packets of crisps. That should be enough, right?

You know it won’t be. Are you stupid? Oh, great. Now my own conscience is calling me stupid.

        “Avery! Let me in! It’s cold out here, it’s the middle of January!” He shouted.