Chapter 11 - Part 1

18 days before Valentine’s Day.

I rolled over onto my side, I hadn’t slept properly even though my brain screamed to get some rest. I noticed that Emma had disappeared and I wondered if I had overslept so I checked my new alarm clock seeing that I broke my last one. It read 6:03AM. Was she awake already?

I stumbled down the stairs and bumped right into Emma.

“Morning,” she whispered.

“Good morning to you too,” I whispered back. “Why are you awake so early?”

She shrugged, “I couldn’t sleep.”

“Me neither,” I replied and noticed that she wasn’t wearing her pyjamas. I raised an eyebrow at her. “Where are you going?”

“Out,” she said. “I thought I’d go out for a quick run while everyone was still sleeping.”

“Oh.” I asnwered. “What for?” I was curious, she never showed any interest in running. I think I distinctly remember her saying that she would never run, and if she did, then someone was chasing her.

Emma shrugged again, “Just to think and clear my head. Want to come?” she asked softly and I nodded.

“Five minutes,” I said and tip-toed up the stairs to get changed.

*** *** *** *** ***

My feet thundered against the hard concrete and my muscles began to ache with each step. “It’s a bit cold this morning.” I panted trying to start a conversation.

“Yeah,” Emma gasped. “Can I ask you something?” she asked wearily.

“Sure.” Now this is interesting, I thought. Emma’s pace slowed and I started to jog with her.

“It’s just this has been bothering me and it’s...um...yeah.” She gasped and continued, “It’s actually why I’m trying to clear my head, it’s jut bothering me so much.”

“Okay. Is something wrong?” I asked in concern.

“No, it’s just...do you think Aaron likes me?” she blurted out and I gaped at  her for a second and she blushed.

“No, he clearly doesn’t,” I said sarcastically and chuckled. “Emma, it’s really obvious that he does.”

“Okay.” She sighed in relief. “I was just worried that, you know, he didn’t.”

I rolled my eyes, “He gave you a nickname after five minutes of talking to you and I didn’t get one. It’s quite clear who he likes.”

“That’s kind of true, I guess.” Emma stood still and I abruptly stopped when I realised that she had.

“What’s going on with you and Dylan?” she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

“Really, the eyebrow wiggle?” I rolled my eyes and she smirked. “Nothing. Nothing is going on.” I assured her.

“That’s not what it looked like to me,” Emma stepped closer to me and nudged my arm. “You know what I mean?” she said with a wink.

“No. Not at all.” I said with a impassive face.

“Don’t lie, you know exactly what I mean. So...” she paused. “What meant nothing?” she asked cocking her head sideways.

How did she- ? “Emma,” I warned. “Did you eavesdrop on us last night?” I narrowed my eyes.

She bit her lip, “A little. But I only heard that part. That’s why I’m asking. I want the whole story.”

“It’s nothing,” Then I broke into a run trying to get away from Emma. But she ran after me and grabbed my ponytail to hold me back.