Chapter 3

Dedicated to @the-irish one for the cover -->

28 Days before Valentine’s Day

        “I’m home!” I shouted, slamming the door closed to keep the wind and rain outside. Nobody answered. I took off my muddy converse and my rain-soaked coat.

        I peeked into the living room, being careful not to let any water drip down from my hair and onto the wooden floors. “Hello?” I called out.

        “In here!”I followed my Mum’s chime-like voice into the kitchen.

        “Something smells good. What are you cooking?” I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. Oh goodness. I don’t know what that is, but it sure does smell nice.

        My Mum turned to face me, her brown hair moving swiftly as she did. “Oh, just chicken pesto and maybe panna cotta for dessert. What was with you, calling out ‘I’m home!’? You never say that.” She raised an eyebrow at me in suspicion and narrowed her eyes.

        I shrugged, “Nothing, I just see it a lot in movies and wanted to try it out. I wanted to see what was so special that they always have to say it.” I paused, “What’s the occasion? It’s not your birthday is it? If it is, I didn’t forget.” I said, too quickly.

        She chuckled, leaving me confused. “It’s not my birthday, Avery. I just thought I’d make something special for my amazing daughter.”

        My eye twitched at her compliment, “You just called me amazing. What happened? Is grandma in hospital again? Did someone d-“ I fired questions at her and she just shook her head.

        She brushed a stray strand of hair and tucked it behind her ears, “No, your teacher called and told me how well you were doing.” She explained.

That’s odd. One of my teachers was nice enough to call my Mum just to tell her how well I was doing? Huh. Maybe they’re not all Satan’s followers who is determined to kill me before I even make it out of school.

        I raised an eyebrow. “Which teacher?” I asked curiously.

        “Mrs. Holmes, your Art teacher. She says you’re helping out one of the ‘difficult’ students in you class. He’s coming over later so you two can get on with your project. Andrea and I already talked about it.” She said nonchalantly, placing another pan on the stove.

My jaw dropped and I’m pretty sure that my eye is twitching like crazy. Who the hell is Andrea? I didn’t even know what to say or do. I mean do I start screaming my head off first or hit my head against the wall?

        “Andrea?” That was all I could say. Yes, I Avery Green has finally been rendered speechless.

        My mother smiled, “Dylan’s Mum. She’s one of the children’s nurses. We have coffee sometimes.” She made it sound so simple. As if it wasn’t a big deal.

Okay. Now this is just getting ridiculous.

        “You know each other?” I must’ve asked that sounding a bit too surprised because she frowned.

        She didn't look pleased, “Yes, Avery. Your mother does have a social life, you know.”

        “I-I know. It’s just Dylan’s Mum? You could be friends with so many other people but you choose Dylan’s Mum?” Then a thought hit me like a ton of bricks. “Oh my! You haven’t told her embarrassing things about me, have you?” I felt sick.