Chapter 21

I'm not sure about a lot of things, like why my Dad left, and I'm not sure what is happening right now. Or if what I'm seeing is real or not. Maybe, this is a dream or a nightmare or a hallucination. Maybe, it's not. I'm not sure.

All I know is I want to run.

And that when a heart breaks, it doesn't make a sound.

"Jason?" I asked in disbelief, dropping Dylan's hand.

Jason smiled, he wasn't surprised to see me. There wasn't any sign of guilt on his face even though I've just caught him making out with someone else.

"You bas-" Dylan started to shout but I interrupted him and held him back.

"You've been cheating on me? Is that why you're always so 'busy'?" I felt anger bubbling up inside me.

"Cheating? No, just now. But you didn't really believe that I liked you, did you?" he asked.

I didn't say anything, my hands just balled into fists.

"Oh! You did!" Jason leaned his head back and guffawed. "That's hilarious!" He exclaimed loudly. "You really thought I liked you?" He shook his head. "That's too funny."

"What? You think it's funny to play with people's feelings?" My voice began to raise.

The girl looked at me and raised an eyebrow, looking at me from head to toe, "Just face it, hun. You're just not...attractive enough." She answered in a squeaky voice.

"Was I talking to you?" I asked. "No, so why don't you shut your mouth?!" I retorted.

"Aves," Jason began.

"Don't call me that." I spat at him.

He shrugged, "I wasn't cheating on you until now, I was just using you to get back at Dylan here," he gestured towards Dylan. "For stealing my girlfriend."

"I never stole her! She kissed me!" Dylan shouted.

Jason ignored him, "I figured, if I got you to go out with me, then it'll crush him and I get someone to make out with. It was a win-win , really."

"So you just used me, for revenge." I nodded holding back my tears.

"You never meant anything to me. I never really liked you in that way. I'll admit, we had some good times but you were never anything more than an accessory to my revenge."

"I hate you." I told him, looking him straight in the eyes. He didn't even flinch.

Jason shrugged, somehow unaffected by the situation. "I mean, I liked you, but only to a certain extent. Like the way you would like a lost puppy and then later use it to get a reward."

I stared at him, my hands shaking with rage. I wanted to shout, scream, cry, to do anything. But I just stood there, frozen and rooted on the spot.

Emma came up behind me and put pulled me into a hug, she must've heard.

A soft sob escaped my mouth as I hugged Emma back tightly as if she was going to drift away. I was probably cutting off her oxygen but I hugged her tighter.

Then she started to slowly shuffle backwards, pulling me away and everything was getting fuzzy and the music became muffled in my ears.

The last thing I heard was Dylan shouting and cursing at Jason before I heard the sound of a fist hitting someone's face and someone falling onto the cold floor before the loud music enveloped me.

***   ***  ***   ***  ***

I sat in the back seat of Aaron's car sobbing onto Emma's shoulder.