Chapter Twelve

By the time Scott arrived with Liam and Kira, Lexi had been floating in and out of consciousness for an hour. Her current state was unconscious, pale face almost void of any sign that she was alive. The moment he saw her, Liam ran to her side. Stiles got up so Liam could sit next to her, and he watched as the blue eyed boy grabbed the girl's hand. Stiles looked away when Liam hung his head in shame. He still didn't know how to take someone's pain away.

Scott hovered by the door as Kira went to sit by Malia and Marley. They explained what had happened, and while they did, Scott couldn't help but notice the hateful glares Stiles was throwing at Theo as the latter tried his best to ignore it. It was almost impossible not to notice, actually.

Scott stepped fully inside the room, his eyes on Lexi. He looked to Stiles. "Is she okay?"

Stiles let out a sigh, a huff of breath Scott was well acquainted with, especially when it came to Stiles. The two had been best friends since forever, had been through the thickest and the thinnest of times. They were close. They were brothers. Even brothers had vulnerable moments of irritable sighs. "We think so. Deaton thinks she probably just needs to rest."

"Tell me again what happened?" Scott said, though he already had a pretty good idea of what happened.

Marley breathed, getting ready to repeat the story when Stiles stopped her. He stared at Theo, eyes shooting knives at the boy as his tone took a deep, dark turn. "Theo decided to test Lexi for her alpha status by putting her in the same situation you were in when Deaton had been taken by the Darach."

Scott turned to Theo, wide eyed and mouth agape. The shock was not faked. Theo said he would test Lexi, told Scott he didn't have to worry about it, that he'd handle everything. Theo did not tell him that he would re-enact what happened to Scott to the point of Lexi almost dying. Although, he should've seen it coming. Now that he thought about, what else could Theo have meant? How else would you test someone of an alpha status? For allot of mutants and meda-humans, it took the brink of death or a life threatening situation to wake up their powers. It took Adam nearly killing her for Lexi to start healing again. He should've seen it. Scott closed his mouth, overwhelmed with guilt.

Theo stood up, the atmosphere growing heavier and heavier by the minute. Stiles crossed his arms over his chest, the anger still evident. Theo swallowed. "I should go. I'm sorry." And then he walked out the door.

Scott almost ran after him, but then Stiles leaned over and whispered, "You still trust him?"

Scott didn't go after Theo. He sat in the chair while everyone else was sprawled on the floor. The night turned into an unexpected sleepover as everyone wanted to be there when Lexi woke up. By midnight, everyone was out but Scott was too wracked with guilt to even think about closing his eyes. But even more than the guilt, was the confusion.

He trusted Theo, he really did. Despite his best friend's constant claims that Theo was a lying rat, Scott had given him the benefit of the doubt. He wondered now if that had been a mistake. Lexi's life had been put in danger by someone Scott had put in charge of her. It wasn't like Theo didn't know the risks of what he had put her through – all werewolves knew the dangers of mountain ash. It was their weakness. Large concentrations used by hunters could kill them. Theo had a theory to be proven, and by the sounds of it had been proven. Lexi wasn't a true alpha, and she had almost died proving it. Scott ran his hands down his face in stress. Confirming her status wasn't worth what Theo had put her through.

Scott needed to figure out what to do next. Stiles would no doubt want this to be the last their pack had anything to do with Theo. He'd be right in wanting that. After screaming for so long that Theo was not to be trusted he had just been proven right. But still, for some reason, Scott still wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. It was that goddamn part of him that always wanted to see the best people, even after they did things like this. He sometimes wished he was like Stiles, always skeptical, ready for betrayal and disappointment. But what kind of leader would that make him? Always believing the best of people, always saving them, even those who didn't deserve it – that's what made him a true alpha. The question was this: was it the best thing to still have that mindset, especially with all the new threats?