Quince - Roomies.

We arrived at the SHIELD base and I was pulled in by Natasha, my handcuffs still snatched around my wrists tightly.
Neither Steve or Natasha had talked to me in the jet, and the STRIKE agents hadn't made a sound since I shut one of them up.

I rolled my eyes as Nat grabbed the handcuffs and dragged me along by them. "You know I can get out of these, right?"

"Yes, but if you don't want to make things worse; don't."

With that, we entered the building and immediately all eyes were on me. The superhero who had been gone for a year had finally reappeared - in handcuffs, unwillingly and unintentionally. Granted, it made me self-conscious, but it was nothing I hadn't been met with before.

They threw me into a dark room which a desk and two seats on either side sat in the centre of it, and two agents followed. They stood beside the door, straight faced as I looked up at them.

"Don't I at least get a phone call?" I huffed, looking at the two emotionless voids. When neither responded, I slacked back into the chair and took interest in the deep grey wall opposite me.

I needed to call Ellie and tell her where I was and why I wasn't back yet. She was probably worried sick, but at least she was there to feed Baxter. He'd grown really big - coming up to my mid thigh when standing. I was 5'11 so that was pretty big for a one year old, but he wasn't going to grow any bigger. I felt bad - I never really spent as much time with him as I intended to. I never ended up finding his original owner after I found him in the alleyway, so I always told myself to spend as much time with him as possible.

It wasn't until the door slammed open and voices from the main lobby filled the room before quietening again that I was brought out of the trance I was in. I looked up to see Director Fury as well as Steve and Natasha behind him. The tension screamed awkward as he took a seat in the chair opposite before coughing, shuffling his files before looking at me, dead in the eye.

"We've been looking for you, Miss Sombra. Where have you been for the past year?" Fury asked in all seriousness. I wasn't afraid of him, and I leaned forward with confidence to show him that.

"Places."

"If I were you, I would answer truthfully." He retorted, poker face.

"And whys that, Director?"

He leaned forward to match my stance, challenging me. "You were taking down HYDRA bases, weren't you?"

"11 to be exact." I shrugged, playing it off. It was a normal thing to me now; bringing HYDRA to their ass'. It almost came naturally. Surprisingly, considering it practically ran in my blood.

Steve and Natasha shared a glance of worry, before Fury began talking again.
"You've been committing felons. You're still signed to SHIELD, and you went on missions under nobodies authority. You're a criminal to this initiative."

I sniggered. "I was a criminal when I killed all those people years ago. Nothing new. Surely I should be receiving a thank you?"

"A thanks for what? Making SHIELD and the Avengers look uncontrollable? Unorganised? Dangerous?"

"Have you ever considered that I couldn't care less? I'm not property. I don't belong to anyone. You used me, Fury, remember that?" My words laced with venom as I glared down the man in front of me.

He sighed, looking at Steve and Natasha before looking at me again. "The World Security Council want you locked up. However, if you choose to come back to work with the Avengers full time, something else can be arranged."

"Why do you need me back? If you think I' m going to become some lab rat once more you can bet your sorry ass -"

"After New York's antics, I convinced the World Security Council that we needed a quantum surge in threat analysis. So we built Project Insight. Three next generation helicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites." Fury explained, bringing up a projection of the project. I listened to what he had to say.