Veintiuno - Ghost Story

The shield crashed through the glass roof and onto the concrete floor, shards scattering around and people staring at us like we were aliens. I groaned in pain - the shield had taken most of the hit but it still hurt when me and Steve went with it.

I pulled myself up, dusting myself off and waving at passers-by before getting my arm nearly yanked off in the direction of the exit and towards Steve's bike.

The bright sun of Washington blinded me again as we ran out, causing me to lift an arm up in front of me to stop it from burning my retinas as Steve pulled up from inside the garage and revved the engine, causing me to scurry on behind him and wrap my arms around his muscular (yet Disney princess) waist. I had to admit, he looked hot on his motorbike.

He avoided all the obstacles that SHIELD put up in order to stop us from escaping, until a quinjet pulled up and hovered in front of us.

"When I say go, hop onto the quinjet and destroy it." Steve ordered me as the jet shouted at us to stand down, which we ignored.

He sped up, throwing his shield into the propellers to jam it and telling me to go. I stood up on the back of the bike and jumped, clinging onto the jet as I pulled myself up and ran across the top of it, out of reach of the machine gun. I grabbed Steve's shield, smashing it into anything I could while he rode underneath me. I could feel the jet begin to fall and took that as my queue to jump off and back onto the bike in the nick of time.

We pulled up at the hospital in search for the flash drive, both dressed like ordinary civilians so nothing would seem out the blue. Steve was wearing his hoody while I wore a different one of his that was slightly fluffy on the inside. We stormed the hallways trying to find the same vending machine, at the same time trying not to drag attention to ourselves.

I noticed a vending machine down a familiar corridor and ushered Steve over with me as we got closer. It was definitely the same vending machine, except the flash drive wasn't in it. I looked at Steve with a confused look as his face moulded into a panicked one, both of us looking around to see where it could have gone.

An obnoxious chewing sound came from behind us and I turned to see Natasha with gum in her hand; the same gum that hid the drive. In anger I pushed her into a spare room filled with supplies and up against the wall, Steve following us in as anger surged through my body.

"Where is it?" I hissed, pushing her up further against the wall.

"Safe." She replied smugly, still loudly chewing her gum.

I slammed her up against the wall again, giving her a fright as I demanded more info. "Do better!"

"Where did you get it?" She asked calmly, looking at me. Her calm aura pissed me off even more, stopping my self from getting any louder.

"Why would I tell you? You have no right to have that flash drive, tell me where it is!" I demanded.

"Fury gave it to you. Why?" Natasha asked Steve more than me but he knew not to give anything away.

"What's on it?" He replied calmly, keeping an eye out for anybody suspicious but his stiffened body posture and tensed jaw said that he wasn't exactly pleased at the surprise show of Romanoff either.

"I don't know."

It took everything I had not to punch her there and then, knowing that it would only make things worse. "Stop lying!"

Steve's voice raised and a smirk played on Natasha's pink lips.
"I only act like I know everything, Rogers."

I let go of her, switching places with Steve and watching the two.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" He asked. I couldn't tell if he was angry anymore or not, he'd relaxed a little bit but his voice was still loud and he still had her up against the wall in interrogation.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you."

I began to get impatient again knowing she was just buying her time and stringing us on, word by word as if she knew we'd listen to everything she'd say. "I'm not going to ask you again."

"I know who killed Fury." She stated. My head snapped up and looked at the redhead, indicating her to go on with her explanation of the murder. My heart tugged slightly at the thought that Fury was actually dead and there was no way of bringing him back, ever.

"Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, but those who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years."

By now, Steve had let go off Natasha completely but still stood near her, determined to get the flash drive back from her possession.

"So he's a ghost story." I said, thinking over what she'd said. I'd never heard of the winter soldier in my lifetime but the name seemed to fit to a man with a metal arm.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot at my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me."

She lifted up her tshirt to show a nasty bullet scar on her abdomen and i scowled, as if it was mine.

"A Soviet flag, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis." She finished, letting her tshirt drop back onto her jeans.

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now." Steve replied sarcastically while Natasha smiled slightly. My stomach burned in jealousy at the two, wishing Steve would harmlessly flirt with me the way he does with Natasha or Agent 13.

"Going after him is a dead end. I know, I tried." She held up the drive, and I launched forward and snatched it out her hands. "Like you said, he's a ghost story."

She looked at me once more before Steve spoke up.

"Well, let's find out what the ghost wants."