(Young) Remus Lupin x reader

"Who are you staring at, mate?" James asked playfully as he waved his hand in front of Remus' face.

Remus shook his head, realising that all of his friends were staring at him with mischievous grins.

"Did you say something?" he asked, his mind elsewhere.

Sirius just smirked and Peter chuckling under his breath said, "If you keep staring at her like that, she'll realise you fancy her!"

Remus tried to shake off his friends' teasing, but could feel his cheeks redden nevertheless. He smiled down at his Transfiguration textbook sheepishly.

"C'mon, leave me alone, guys. We're supposed to be studying."

"Psh, look who's talking!" James jerked his thumb in the direction of the girl that had Remus so enamored.

The girl was sitting cross-legged under a tree not far from where the Marauders sat, a thick book laid across her lap. Her (y/h/c) hair covered most of her face, shielding the rest of her features from the boys' view. But Remus knew she was beautiful. He noticed her whenever she entered or exited a room. He would smile to himself whenever she would answer a question correctly in class. But his heart would always sink when he realised that she didn't even know he existed.

"What's this girl's name anyway, Moony?" Sirius asked with a cocked eyebrow.

"(y/n)," he said, looking towards the girl again.

(y/n) could feel the stares of the boys from where she sat in the shade of the tree. She ignored the prickling feeling and focused on studying for her Transfiguration exam.

"Ugh, what's the point of trying? I can't focus with him watching me," she thought after a few more fruitless minutes.

Brushing her hair out of her eyes, she glanced over to see her crush, Remus Lupin, looking over his shoulder her way. Their eyes met briefly before they both quickly looked away. She could hear Remus' friends snickering quietly and imagined the pink colour of her cheeks.

"Why does he always have to be with those boys?" she thought to herself as she packed her bag. "If I could get him alone for a moment or two, maybe I could actually get to know him."

(y/n) knew that Remus was a werewolf. She'd put two and two together after observing him for long enough. But it didn't matter. It didn't make him any less attractive in her eyes, to say the least. If only she could talk to him ...

(y/n) headed up to the castle, her mind set on studying in the library where there wouldn't be any ... distractions.

"Guys, I'm never going to be able to talk to her if you don't stop being so -"

"So what?" Sirius asked as he winked at a Hufflepuff passing them down the hall.

"Never mind," Remus sighed and pulled his bag higher up on his shoulder.

The group of boys had headed inside after the sun had begun to set, hungry and tired of studying.

"Even without us you'd never actually talk to her. Everyone knows how shy you are. Face it, Moony - you need our help! I'm quite smooth with the ladies myself, I might add," James joked cockily and Sirius scoffed, pointing out that James was still single.

Remus tried to smile but he knew James was right. He was a hopeless romantic. Remus could tell that (y/n) had been embarrassed when James, Peter, and Sirius had snickered at their "staring contest" as Sirius liked to put it.

He wished he could speak to her alone. He wished he could have an actual, uninterrupted conversation with her.

Just as they turned the corner, Remus got his wish.