II | In Between

The week that had followed after my meeting of Archie and his friends, was the same cycle with nothing exciting to break it

The week that had followed after my meeting of Archie and his friends, was the same cycle with nothing exciting to break it. Seeing them during third period and at lunch became the only highlights of my day as well as sporadically after that, Archie is in my music class, Jughead in my history and Betty in my gym class.

Although, I did learn that ginger haired girl's name.

Cheryl.

But not the reason behind her dampened emotions.

Today, however, my excitement had arrived in the form of a pink slip, which is notable for detention.

Great.

It was for being tardy, because my mother decided that taking me to school was taking me away from the Riverdale experience, so I struggled for two hours trying to get to Riverdale High. By the time I arrived to school, my first period class had already ended. I'm surprised they didn't turn me away at the doors.

It was a forgettable morning.

But Betty decided to wait the lengthy thirty five minutes of detention after school for me, cheering me up afterwards to a thick chocolate milkshake.

"Veronica, did you ever believe in your wildest dreams that you would have detention? Here?"

I look at Betty as she catches a stray strand that floats away from her famous perfect pony. I wonder if I'll ever get to see those blonde strands loose.

"No, I never planned on it but it's not my first detention and it surely won't be my last," I smile at her as she begins to giggle.

Everything about Betty is so innocent...yet intriguing.

Very intriguing.

"Well I'm sorry you had to endure that."

"It's okay because I got a milkshake out of my bad luck with a really great girl," I smile at her, causing her cheeks to redden. "So, is this the hangout for you guys? A special place to relax?"

"Pop's is the best place to get a burger that's for sure."

"Or a shake."

The two of us begin laughing again before I look up and see Archie walk in without his usual letterman jacket on. Instead it was replaced with the tight white compression shirt he wears under his pads for football. His arms are literally bulging underneath the sleeves as my eyes look down at the pants he wears under his uniform hugging his thighs.