XIV | Halloween

It's the last day of October

Halloween.

And this day, in this town, is probably at an all time level of spooky. That's from great contribution of everyone.

This ranges from Betty and Jughead scouring the forest around Sweetwater River, where Jason's body floated to the surface, to this town's unhealthy obsession with maple syrup, to the Blossoms' presence (minus Cheryl of course) just being enormously creepy.

In such a short amount of time, I didn't think that death, especially of someone I didn't know at all, would affect me so heavily.

"Veronica, come here please."

My mother's strong voice is particularly low in my ears as I slide off of the flaming pink colored satin sheets covering my bed, before staggering into the living room, nervous that she might yell at me because she's always on another level.

As a parent usually is.

But this isn't New York and that hasn't been the case since.

I haven't stayed out late with the entire cheer squad, spent over a thousand dollars on makeup using her credit card or even stayed over at a boy's house for the night.

So I guess there hasn't been anything for her to be upset in particular.

"Yes Mom," I mutter lowly before I see the back of a man's head.

"I just would like you to meet Mr. Andrews."

He turns around, giving me that same cheeky smile that Archie gives me and it wasn't hard to put two and two together. Like if the last name wasn't enough. His eyes are the same soft hazel but his hair wasn't the same ginger shade but rather a shade of brown that resembles the color of an almond.

Archie's father extends his hand from out of a pocket on his red flannel and I shake it with a firm grip that leaves him impressed.

"Please, call me Fred. It's funny I know a lot about you already. Archie talks about you a lot," Fred smiles at me again, making everything seem nice and pleasant.

Just like when I first met Archie.

I only laugh a little to his response before my mother takes over.

"Well as you know, I've been working for Fred at Andrews construction. I just decided to finally have him over for dinner."