Chapter 26

Katniss' POV

~~~~~~~~~

I see Mags walk towards the fog. I want to scream. Peeta's legs are failing. I cant hold him anymore. Finnick is helping Viola. That's when they slip and fall down the steep side of the hill. I wasn't thinking clearly-due to the fog preventing me from breathing- and Peeta and I fell as well. During the tumble, A sharp side of the cliff sends a gash through my leg. I hit my head on a rock. We land roughly on the beach. I'm beat, my head is bleeding and my leg is too but I can't stop now. I have to Protect Peeta and get through the games.

We just lay there. For hours. The sun will be coming out soon. And the fog has passed. It's going to be a long day. I try to think of what to do about being immobile for who knows how long. I can manage to crawl to the shore. I know I must clean out my cuts I put my hand in the warm water. It's like I just touched a stove top. My hand burns. I try not to scream, I take my hand out. I let out a shaky sigh. I force my other hand in, My eyes pressed closed. I open them to find that the poison is leaving my hand in little wisps of white. I know what I must do. I slowly put my legs in, I whimper. The pain is excruciating. If I did it all at once, It would probably kill me. Soon I finish extracting the poison. My body aches, as I crawl to Peeta, Finnick and Viola. "Peeta!" I whisper, seeing he's asleep. "Peeta!" I say shaking him. i drag half asleep Peeta to the waters edge. I put his arms in the water gently. He grunts in pain. "Shhh, it's fine, This will get the poison out!" He nods wincing. Soon Peeta can move his legs. Finnick got the worst of it. And Viola was only asleep because of the exertion of the day and how exhausted she was from getting almost no sleep in almost 3 days. She ended up getting the least if the poison. We were ready to die of dehydration. We needed water. "Haymitch?" "If your not to drunk we could use some water!" I yell to the sky. Soon I hear the tinkle of a parachute. "Thanks..." I smile. But I found the most puzzling thing inside.

Some sort of a spout. After hours of thinking, I get it. "I got it!" I scream. "I got it!" "Got what Katniss?" Viola asks. It's a spile! "There has to be water in this tree!" I grab a rock and pound the spile into the heart of the tree. I wait a few anticipating seconds, And water. We all scream excited. We each take turns drinking the precious water. Without it we wouldn't make it another day. I eat some of my dried fruit. Soon it's time for us to keep watch. Peeta and I will take watch tonight. And while we're sitting up in that tree, I realize, Peeta is my hero. I can't let him die. I can't let him.

Sorry guys I logged out of Wattpad for a while to go on my other account. I promise to write more often. I'm not abandoning you guys! ☺️

Bye,

M a d d y 💕