Delusions of Eden: Day One Point Five

“Was it the same dream again,” Polly questioned as Margo slowly rose.

            “Yeah…”

            “So what was I like on that side,” she asked.

            The question had been asked to Margo countless times before, and each time another lie would be added to the ones already spun.  “You were a rich woman with a mansion and a yacht.”      

            “Did I still have the husband and kids?”

            “Yeah you did,” Margo said.  “But this time you had a poodle too.”

            Immediately her face brightened at the mention of a poodle.  She was quite fond of poodles, but in their current situation having a pet would only present further problems than the batch they currently had.  And honestly they couldn’t afford any more difficulties.

            Even though the usual banter was welcomed by Margo as the smile flowed across her face, the grim fate loomed overhead once more as the usual words escaped Jase’s lips.  “It’s getting closer.”  Once more their steps were quickened as they headed out again.

            Their breaths were sporadic and so were their thoughts as they sailed down the dusty path.  The tears left Polly’s huge pools of brown as she continued forward, but despite her best efforts her pace was lagging.  Slowly it crept closer towards them to which Jase was the first to notice.  “No one gets left behind,” he said as he pulled her along.

            “Thanks,” she quickly remarked to which he swiftly nodded in response.  The path was long and hard their steps began the impact began to weigh gradually on them.  But resting wasn’t an option as the veil loomed further than usual.

            Each head was uncertain when they would see freedom again.  But despite the doubts and fears everyone had they did look forward to seeing that moment once more.  And when that moment arrived each set of legs laid down under the shade of the thick trees.

            This time Jase was the first one to enter slumber.  He was an attractive young male at the ripe age of twenty three.  The short blonde locks upon his thin head and the attire he wore made appear like an angel in her eyes.

            The attire he wore was universal to the rest of the males within Eden.  Each was covered in white from head to toe.  The white tuxedo never stained though the blood, sweat, and tears they poured were constant.  The white tie never crumpled nor soiled, and the same could be said about the white sneakers as well.

            And when Margo’s head turned towards Polly the worries overwhelmed her again.  Like usual Polly’s eyes connected with Margo’s as the insomnia took hold.  Gradually her eyes shifted before linking again.

            In her eyes Polly was an older woman though she was only forty five.  Her soft skin was dark like ebony, while the deep pools were filled with chocolate.  Also her short locks were full of curls that were always kept at their best, despite the dire situation that had befallen them all.

            The fear swept over her heart while she stared endlessly at Polly.  Most days were like this for her, but she couldn’t allow the feelings to overtake her.  Sluggishly her eyes shut as she tried to rest.  All she craved was a peaceful dream with smiles and constant laughter.  But that was impossible as she slipped into the other world once more.

            The same scene was before her as she stared at the white floor.  “Welcome back,” the warm voice said.  Instantly her eyes locked to him as the thoughts surged.  His name was Gary Lowery, and he was one of the so called ‘doctors’ here in Twin Ledges.

            “So are you ready to talk now,” he asked.  Rapidly her head shook despite the restraints she wore.  The anger spilled through her fiery glare as she craved freedom from this hellish nightmare.  “I could get Foreman to release you from those restraints,” he sighed.  “But that is only if you cooperate.”

            The options before her were limited as she nodded in response.  A fiendish smile rolled over his face before he tapped heavily upon the white door.  It was obvious what Foreman had to do as his dark muscles pulsed while she rose from the floor.  “Do as the doc says and things will go smoothly,” he whispered.

            Though despite his concerns she obviously wasn’t interested, and once she was free she quickly sank her teeth into his shoulder.  This was hell and each second she spent within it she despised.  Despite the constant discomfort she caused he never cried, instead he gave her a firm shove until her back connected with the wall behind her.  “Stay there,” he bit.  “Or else it’ll be far worse next time.”  She wanted to swear endlessly to him, but the grunt was all she could muster as the blood dripped from her lips.

            “Miss Holt,” Lowery sighed as he began.  “That was truly uncalled for.  Foreman was clearly just doing his job, but now because of you he will have to be treated.”  Though the words he spoke entered within her ears she never responded.  The hope filled her mind due to her constant wish to be free.

            However while she craved freedom she felt ill.  The feeling sank deeply as her stomach dropped, and with worried eyes she recalled this sensation.  Someone had fallen prey to the darkness to which she promptly lowered her head until she escaped the world around her.  “Damn,” Lowery exclaimed once she faded away.

            Her eyes gradually opened, but the fear on each of their faces wasn’t what she expected.  The howls left Polly’s lips as each tear was shed from her weary eyes.  Nancy silently wept as well, while Oliver paced, and Arty was left to recollect as his gaze was focused to the ground below him.  “Where is Jase,” she firmly asked.  Yet there was no response and it drove her wild.

            “Where is Jase,” she furiously questioned.

            The sadness had overwhelmed Arty as he turned to Margo and said, “He’s dead.  We ran again while you were asleep.  And we tried our best to drag you along, but the burden was too much for Jase as he literally fell.  No one noticed he was gone ‘til we stopped.”  The wound that Jase’s death left was unbearable, and the fact became ingrained when Arty showed her the speckled ball that Jase formerly owned.

            “No,” Margo wailed as her fists struck the ground.  “Why did it have to be him of all people and not a spineless coward like Oliver?”

            Those words sank deeply into Oliver’s mind as he fired, “You bitch!  I knew we should’ve left your ass back there, if you had died Jase would still be here!”

            “Stop it you two,” Arty exclaimed.  “Fighting amongst ourselves won’t solve anything.  Right now another of our friends has been lost to the darkness forever.  We can’t just sit here and bicker over who should’ve died.  We have to go on, or else each of us will surely die!”

            The words he spoke were true and ever so clear that no one objected.  Each was pleased he hadn’t perished, or else they would too fall to the darkness and would’ve done so long ago.  The speckled ball left his hand before entering it again.  “I think we should have a ceremony for the dead,” he exclaimed.  Despite the pain each felt they nodded in response.