Domino: Chapter One Point Five - Steam

"Full blown insanity produces more than enough creativity, enjoy." - CL

          Countless weeks sailed by as the rough living within the old shop was upon Kontar.  This wasn’t the best spot in the world to his young eyes.  The shop was a constant mess after the long hard days while the pungent odor of grease and metal constantly lingered.  But despite the many flaws this place held he found peace within Bahram’s humble abode.

            The attic was drafty like usual as he laid his head down on the pillow again.  This wasn’t what he expected when Bahram promised him a room, nor was the food that he was given on a daily basis.  Each day he wondered how his life as a rat would’ve been without Bahram and each time the answer was fairly the same.

            Though he regularly complained about the room and board he had been promised Bahram always chuckled in response.  “The poor houses are worse and the swill that they serve in those kitchens isn’t fit for a dog.”

            The horrid tales of the gray lumps with hairs that the rats were forced to digest seemed unbelievable as he pushed the green mash down his throat again.  And even stories about the lice infested beds at the poor houses felt extreme.  Though he was lucky in some ways he still wished for more.

            Apparently Alusta was beautiful, yet his view of this city had been through the eyes of Bahram’s apprentice.  While there were complaints frequently he did enjoy the outings to the dignitaries’ houses.  Each week another one desired Bahram’s mighty hands to repair again.  The task was too difficult for them since they could never sully their own hands with such menial work.

            Because of these constant responsibilities that Bahram was given Kontar met him.  His name was Daris and he was the eldest son of Naveed tu Abba.  Naveed was the noble that caused Bahram the most grief despite the work he received.

            The pristine palace was riddled with flaws.  And even though Naveed understood these issues he refused to call Bahram until the issue escalated to full scale which was beyond normal repair.  Again the day was filled with constant groans and moans from Bahram when he dragged his old frame from the workshop once the rusted phone whistled.

            “These nobles think they’re so neat,” he grumbled.  “But they’re just a bunch of hypocritical snobs that never want to smear their white attires.  For once I would love to see one of those neat freaks roll up their sleeves and do an honest day’s work!”

            “Bahram, do you always have to complain each time we do a job,” Kontar asked.

            “Listen lad with these folks it’s best to say what you feel before we get there or else we’ll be hanged before supper.  Didn’t you read that rulebook I gave you a few weeks back?”

            “I was meaning to,” Kontar nervously followed.  “But we’ve been doing so much work lately that I haven’t found the time to do so.”

            “WHAT,” he cried.  “Lad you’ll lose your head if you read it ASAP!  Inside of that book are the tips of how to survive ‘til you’re an old prune like me.”

            “Yeah…  I don’t want to live that long.”

            “You say something,” he growled.

            “No’m,” Kontar swallowed.

            “Well lad we’ll make another Alustoid and then head home like usual,” he sighed.