Saying Good Bye

{Author's note: You can feel the effects of this Chapter best if you listen to Nightcore: I found myself}

The SpaceShip had shuddered as it hit the atmosphere of the red Planet, and as the agent stood up she adjusted her leather vest with the furry collar.

"You sure you want to do this?" came a very familiar voice.

Agent Ray turned to her left, where she met the warm gaze of her fellow. Nodding in determination painted a soft frown. "Yes."

"They will lock you up, and destroy May." Zed's concerned tones were met with a strange sense of confident response.

"I made another deal," Ray drew a weak smile that did not mirror the emptiness in her eyes. "I gave myself up."

Zed sighed deeply.

"In exchange they will release May. I told them about the Pacer, and the way to capture their real enemies. They would have to use me as bait."

The older man frowned, "You don't have to do this."

"I made up my mind." Ray paused as she dropped her gaze and flinched. Her fists curled tightly as she clasped the sides of her pant legs in fear. "I'm not going to allow anyone else to be used again." Turning to her long time friend and confidant added softly, "If anyone's going to be used, it's going to be me." Heaving deeply, the girl released a sigh that made her heart skip as if she was crying.

Though no tears escaped, Zed knew the child was crying on the inside. She was not going to sweep things under the rug anymore.. Ray was going to make things right and set things straight. She was going to take responsibility for helping Kai.

Blinded by love, the girl had willingly chosen to help with Kai's research in secret after he convinced her nothing bad would happen. The girl was so innocent back then.. How much she has changed since then.. She looked like a totally different person now.

"They will give me death row- execution timed for dawn tomorrow." Ray's voice sounded light and peaceful. "But it won't come to that." Smiling warmly at the older agent who had played along with her plan from the start, placed a reassuring hand atop his shoulder.
"Don't worry, Kai will save me!"

There it was again. That childlike innocent glimmer in her eyes. He knew that she was putting up a front to make him feel better. Zed desperately wanted to believe her words- but he knew for a fact Kai would not be able to save her. She would make sure of that.

"I'll be going first!" Ray's enthusiastic tones were too painful to bear. And as the girl turned to the door, it finally struck him. This was the last time he would ever see her. Closing the distance, gave the girl a strong fatherly hug from the back. She stood much taller than him now- how time did fly.

He could see her bouncing up and down the halls of HQ squealing happily about some strange alien toy she had been given as a birthday present. How he missed those days. She would never remember those times she spent at MIB headquarters though, she was just too young to do so.
"I love you Rei.."

Ray flinched at the words and broke down.

It was so hard saying good bye.

(( Author's story note: You may be wondering why Zed still has his memories, I made it so on purpose. All will be revealed in the end!)