chapter two

CHAPTER TWO

Athena stood in the empty room, waiting for a peacekeeper to arrive with her small family consisting of her mother and sister

She tried her hardest not to cry as she leaned against the wall patiently waiting to say goodbye to two of the three people she cared for most. The situation she was in was the worst she had ever been in. She was being forced into the Hunger Games where her chances of surviving were 1 in 24. And to top it all off, even if she did win the games, the boy she loves would be dead. Because Finnick was being shipped off into the games with her, there was absolutely no way she'd see him again after. When Athena heard Finnick's name called at the reaping, she had never felt more pain. However, there was still that slimmer of hope that she had, that she'd see him again. It was possible for him to win and when he did, he'd come home to her. But then her name was called. That destroyed everything.

Athena was ripped from her thoughts as the door opened, her mother rushing in with Hazel in her arms. The peacekeeper shut the door after strictly telling them that they had three minutes for their goodbyes.

"Mamma!" Athena cried out. Her mother put Hazel down, letting her oldest crash into her arms. As soon as Athena attached to her mother, she could no longer hold back her tears.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie." Her mother sobbed into Athena's hair, tightly gripping her soon to be gone daughter.

"How could this happen? They called Finnick's name too, mom. I can't- I can't-"

"I know, I know. I wish I could do something. I love you so much, okay? Hold on to that."

"Athena?" Athena slowly unattached from her mother, looking to her little sister. A small tear fell out of Hazel's eye as she looked up to her big sister.

"Hazel." Athena sobbed. She grasped her sister, savoring the last moment she had with the ten year old.

"I love you. Mom will take care of you. Don't forget me, okay?" As soon as Athena came out of her sister's arms, the peacekeepers barged in.

"It's time." Athena's eyes widened as the men in white took ahold of her mother and sister, ushering them out of the room.

The last thing she heard before they were completely gone, was a high pitched, "Athena!"

Athena squeezed her eyes shut after hearing the last word she'd ever hear her little sister say.

-

Everything was happening so fast. Athena had reunited with Finnick, and they were now getting out of a car with Octavia, only to get on a train that would take them to the capitol. The whole way to the train, Octavia went on and on about how they would be treated int eh luxurious capitol, but Athena zoned her out.

Finnick and Athena stepped onto the beautifully furnished train, taking everything in. It was extremely elegant, not only furnished with furniture, but each table managed to have a huge set up of treats.

Athena slowly walked to one of the couch's, a blank look in her eyes. She sat down, blankly staring forward. She jumped as a hand wrapped around hers. She looked to the side to see Finnick next to her, his green eyes scanning her face. She hadn't noticed his presence until now strangely.

Octavia noticed her two tributes softly interacting on the couch. Her high heels clicked on the floors as she approached the two, sitting on a single chair across from them.

"So my two district 4 tributes! How do you know each other?" Octavia's eyes trailed down to their entangled hands, her eyebrow raising.

Finnick cleared his throat, "She's my- uh, girlfriend." His eyes awkwardly went from Athena to Octavia.

"Well, I am truly sorry you two." After a brief moment of silence, Octavia awkwardly stood up. "I am going to find your mentors!" Octavia approached one of the sliding doors, and as soon as it closed, Athena collapsed into Finnick's arms. Everything she had been holding back seemed to unravel at that moment and it made Finnick want to cry with her. In fact, a single tear traveled down his tan cheek as he held onto the girl he loves.

"I'm so sorry, A. You deserve so much better than this. I swear to god, I'm going to protect you with my life, okay? I will not let you die in there."

"That's the thing, though. If you do that, you will loose your life. And I'd rather be dead than be forced to live without you."

Finnick grabbed Athena's cheeks lightly, his thumb wiping at the tears that ferociously fell down her face. "Do not say that, Athena. Don't say that. You are going to make it out. And even though I won't, you will and you're going to live out your life. You'll find love again. You'll have kids, get married. You can live without me, Athena."

"No, no, no, no." Athena's eyes fell to the ground as she continued to shake her head.

The sound of footsteps separated the two, Athena quickly composed herself as Finnick laid his hand on her pack, rubbing up and down to soothe her.

Octavia entered the room with a large smile, two people following behind her.

"Athena, Finnick. These are your mentors. Mags and Jax." Octavia first pointed to an elder woman, whose grey hair fell to her shoulders, curled. She then pointed to the male, who seemed to be in his thirties.

The two fourteen year olds looked at the three adults standing in front of them, more specifically their mentors.

"Because there are two of you and two mentors, I think it would be best if you each connected with one. Finnick, Mags will be your mentor. Athena, Jax will be yours.

The two nodded, looking over their new mentors. Athena looked Jax over and could not deny how attractive he was. He wasn't the tallest man, but he wasn't short. His jawline was lined with stubble and his eyes were the prettiest shade of green. Behind those green eyes however, was a shade of sadness and brownness that Athena bet her life was due to his games.

"Athena? My name is Jax Smith. I won my games twenty years ago. I'm here to help you get through this." Athena nodded, looking down. To the right of her, Mags and Finnick seemed to be hitting it off already. Overwhelmed by everything, Athena stood up and left the room. She walked to the back of the train, finding a beautiful area lined with windows. She sat on the couch in front of the windows, watching the passing trees. She looked back, hearing the door slide open. Seeing Jax, she furrowed her brows.

"Overwhelmed?" He asked softly, sitting beside her.

"Understatement of the century." Athena sighed, looking up to the man next to her.

"I know how you feel. I won my games when I was 16. Back then I was just a scared teenager. Look, if I can win my games at sixteen, you can win yours at fourteen."

"There's never been a 14 year old victor. Why would I of all people be the first?"

"Why can't you be? Look, Athena. I refuse to watch you die out there. I know you can win this and when you do, I'll be the first person to congratulate you."

"Why congratulate? If I win, that means Finnick will be dead and I'll be emotionally scared from killing people."

"I'll congratulate you because you survived. Athena, I am determined to get you through this and I'm going to give you all the advice I can."

"Thank you, Jax." Jax stood up, patting her shoulder. As he approached the door, it opened right on time revealing Finnick. Jax smiled down at the boy, before walking out.

-

So I'm determined to make Jax a father figure to Athena, so get excited for that! In case you don't remember, Jax's face claim is Jensen Ackles!