55) Gladiolus

A/n: A request from @__luth. Prepare a tissue or even a whole box! It's going to be sad😢. Text in bold and italics is the past. Love you all!!!
~✨Celestial ✨~
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
~(Y/n)'s POV~

"I'm sorry, Lady (Y/n). It's best you say your goodbyes before tomorrow morning," my doctor said. I felt tears stream down my cheeks relentlessly. My doctor left with a sad expression on his face. "So... I'm laying on my deathbed." I've been sick since I was a little girl. The doctor told me my sickness worsened while I was on a trip with my precious Gladio. I started having a coughing fit and couldn't breathe properly. Gladio took me to the nearest hospital, which was in Lestallum. After a few weeks, they transferred me to a hospital near the palace in Insomnia.

"I should tell him." I pull out my phone to call Gladio. I search for his number with a shaky hand. Clicking his name, the phone began to ring. Gladio picked up immediately. I could hear the worry and concern in his voice.

"Is everything alright?"

"Glad, is it possible for you to visit right now?"

"Of course. I'll see you in a bit, (Y/n)."

I hung up the phone with a heavy heart. My mind races with ways on how to tell the man I love that I'm dying and won't live to see the next day. It's not a topic you can sugarcoat for anyone. Fifteen minutes passed and Gladio arrived in my room. "How is everything?" He asked. I could tell he was hoping for good news. "Gladio, I..." More tears spilled from my eyes. He sat on the bed while holding my hand. "What did the doctor say, (Y/n)?"

"I... I won't make it to tomorrow..." Gladio's face dropped with sadness. He immediately took me in his strong arms. "I was hoping we could spend the rest of our lives together..." I mutter, devastated that dream would never come true. He tightens his embrace, not even letting me go for a second.

"Should we tell the others?" He asked. I shook my head while Gladio wiped my tears away. "They would run here in a panic. I know they mean well, but... I want to spend my last moments with you." Gladio nodded in understanding. "I'll call them in the morning and break the news to them then."

"Hey, Gladio?" He hummed in response. "Could we go to where we first met?" A smile broke across his face. "Of course, (Y/n)." Gladio got permission from my doctor for me to leave. We headed to the meadow where we first met.

 We headed to the meadow where we first met

Gladio sat down with me in his lap. The sun was just about to set and I knew my time was ticking by quickly. "I can't believe it's been five years since we met each other," I said softly. Gladio nodded in agreement. "Neither can I, but I remember it as if it were yesterday."

I was humming to myself while picking flowers. The sun was high in the sky as it shone down on me and the beautiful flowers. My basket was almost full of a variety of flowers from the meadow. A blue flower caught my attention and I couldn't hold my joy in. I ran over to where I spotted the beautiful flower. Before I could reach the flower, I tripped over something in the grass. "... Ow..."

My whole body aches in pain from the impact of the hard ground. "What did I trip over?" I ask myself. I brush off the grass and get back to my feet. I face what I tripped over and saw it wasn't a thing. It was a man. He was laying in the meadow with his eyes closed. I kneeled next to him to see if he was alive. My hand travels to his neck so I could find a pulse. Suddenly the man woke up and pinned me to the ground. I yelped in fear at the sudden action. Our eyes met and he realized what he had done. His eyes were wide with shock.

"Sorry about that. I thought someone was trying to kill me," he said. The man lets me go so I could sit up next to him. "Um... Don't worry about it. You just scared me. I was making sure you weren't dead," I said to defend my actions. He rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. "I can't believe I just pinned a girl down..." He muttered in disbelief. I giggle and pull a piece of grass out of his hair. "Like I said, don't worry about it." I stood up with a smile.

"Most girls would freak out and pull a knife on me," he grinned. "Well, I'm not like most girls." The man chuckled deeply and stood up. He was so much taller than me that he blocked out the sun's view. "I'm Gladiolus. Just call me Gladio," he introduced himself. I smiled and took a hold of my basket. "It's nice to meet you, Gladio. I'm (Y/n)."

The sun was slowly disappearing beyond the horizon as we reminisced in our memories together. It was getting cold in the meadow quickly. Gladio noticed my shivering and wrapped his strong arms around my small frame. "Why were you in the meadow that day?" I ask him. "Noct was being a pain in the ass, so I decided to leave and get some peace. I'm glad I did. If I would've stayed in the palace, we would've never met."

"Maybe... It would've saved you from all this suffering if you would've stayed..." I mumbled sadly. Gladio cups my cheeks with his hands and makes me look at him. "Don't say that, (Y/n). These past five years have been the best years of my life." I blushed at his kind words. I buried my head in his chest to hide my face. "I-I swear..." I mutter into his chest. He begins to chuckle and runs a hand through my (h/c) hair. Suddenly a sharp pain struck my whole body. I couldn't feel my whole body and it was hard to breathe. Gladio noticed and began to worry. "(Y/n), what's wrong?"

I could only smile sadly at him. "It's time..." His eyes filled up with sadness. I could tell he was about to cry at any second. "Please don't leave me..." He whispered in a shaky voice. Tears began streaming down my cheek without any sign of stopping. "I'm glad... I was able... To meet you, Gladio." He holds my dying body closer to him. "I wish I could've saved you from this pain," he said and began to cry. "Promise me... You won't give up..." He nods and holds one of my hands tightly. "I promise, (Y/n)." He kissed me gently on the lips one last time.

"I love you... Gladio..." With those final words, my soul passed on to a better place.