Chapter 7

I sit on the balcony, overlooking the city with a plateful of baked goods in between me and Raoul. I grab a chocolate croissant and take a large bite of it. Raoul glances over at me concerned.

"Is there anything new that happened recently?" He asks. My stomach drops like a thousand bricks. Does he know Meg told me everything?

"What... What do you... Mean?" I ask with a very shaky voice. Ever since I had that lunch with Meg a week ago, I have been terrified of Raoul. I'm so scared that he might threaten me in an awful way if I do something wrong in the slightest. All the care I used to have for him has now turned into fear. Every night when I go to bed with him, I sleep with one eye open for protection.

"I can tell you're scared of something," He says. I take another bite of my croissant.

"You also have a bigger appetite than usual. I remember when my mom was pregnant with my brother, she ate more too. If you are pregnant with a child, I won't be mad if that is why you're scared. I would be happy to be a father," Raoul says as he takes my hand to comfort me, but I feel ants crawling inside me as his skin touches mine.

"I'm not pregnant. In fact, I'm bleeding now. That's probably why I'm eating a lot," I say back. The truth is, when I'm nervous and/or heartbroken I eat a lot. This past week I was and still am both. Even though I'm actually bleeding, the conversation with Meg is the real reason for my appetite.

"Oh ok," He sighs disappointedly while he lets go.

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright. What is bothering you then?"

"Huh? Nothing."

"Christine, I've known you since I was only a kid. I can tell when you are bothered by something."

I gulp silently.

"Please tell me," He begs.

I take a deep, nervous breath in and out.

"Christine!" He snaps.

I speed walk back into the penthouse to get away from him. Raoul runs back inside while grabbing my arm so tightly it hurts. With every short breath I inhale, I can feel my heart pound very quickly. I refuse to look at him and continue to stare at the living room.

"What has gotten into you?! Look at me!" He demands. He grabs my shoulders and turns me around so I can face him. I still stay silent because I'm so overwhelmed I can't think of a lie. I don't want him to know Meg told me he tried to kill Erik. The only option that comes to mind is to say nothing.

"CHRISTINE!" Raoul screams.

"MEG TOLD ME EVERYTHING!!" I shout as I throw his hands off my shoulders. He stands there with fury in his eyes that sends a chill down my spine. Once again, I did not mean to say that. It just came out of me from nowhere.

"I told that lady to keep her mouth shut," He whispers angrily.

"Don't blame her, I forced her to tell me. The question is, why would you do something like that?" I asked with every bit of courage I tried to find inside me.

"I did it for you."

"No you didn't! You did it for yourself! You did it out of jealousy!"

"ERIK IS A MURDERER! I DID EVERYONE A FAVOR! HE ALSO TRIED TO KILL ME! DON'T YOU REMEMBER?! HE THREATENED TO HANG ME IF YOU DIDN'T MARRY HIM!"

"HE EVENTUALLY LET YOU GO AND LET ME BE FREE WITH YOU ONCE I KISSED HIM BECAUSE HE TRULY LOVES ME!"

"YOU THINK KIDNAPPING AND KILLING IS TRUE LOVE?!"

"THERE IS A SENSITIVE MAN HIDDEN UNDERNEATH THE DARKNESS AND ANGER! I'VE SEEN THAT MAN BEFORE!"

"YOU'RE CRAZY!"

"Goodbye Raoul," I snap as I rip the ring off my finger and chuck it at him. I storm out of the apartment with my purse.