Chapter 12

The nurse pulls me into a nearby storage closet. She turns on the light above us. I wonder what must be so important that she can't show anyone else.

"I want you to take these," the nurse says as she shows me two small pieces of paper. There are writings on the papers that I can't quite read very clearly because the closet is too dark.

"What are these?" I ask her.

"They're train tickets to a private town in Italy. When Erik wakes up I want you two to run out of here and never look back. Get far away from here."

I'm so stunned and shocked by this woman's generosity. I've only known her for a little less than a week. Here she is giving me tickets to a train that can get me and Erik away from this horrible city.

"Madame, I don't know what to say," I tell her.

"Say thank you," the nurse replies.

"Thank you. So much. I'll pay you back I promise."

"That's not necessary. Start a new life with Erik. The police won't stop hunting for him. There's only so much this hospital can do."

I hug the nurse and take the tickets. I walk back to the room with the tickets hiding behind my back.

I sit into my chair looking at Erik. I've tried so much to wake him up. I've confessed my love, reminded him of the memories we shared, and begged him desperately to wake up. The only thing I have left in my mind to is to sing to him. After all, he always loved to hear me sing. He always called me his angel just like I did to him. Perhaps, that should be the song I sing right now.

"Angel of music, guide and guardian, grant me to your glory," I start to sing just like I did when I first saw him in person. Tears start to pour out of my eyes as the memory hits me like a brick.

"Angel of music, hide no longer. Come to me, strange Angel." I start to see something I've been waiting for what seems like years. I see his eyes open.