Leaving

"Looks like I caught you just in time!" My best friend Corey Haim, came running up to me.
I turned around to face his beautifully blue eyes trained on my not so beautiful blue eyes. I didn't want to go, but I needed to. I didn't want to leave him, but I'm fifteen, so I have to go to wherever my family does.
"Corey I. . . ." I didn't want to say I had to go because if I did, it'd become true.
He put his hand on my mouth, "It's okay, don't say it." He started to back away. "See ya tomorrow." He smiled. Even though we both knew it was a lie, we forced ourselves to believe it.
"See you tomorrow, Corey." I answered softly, but he didn't hear me. I turned to get on the plane. I couldn't help myself, so I looked back, watching Corey grow smaller and smaller, then also look back. We smiled at each other one last time, pretending, silently promising each other that this wasn't the last time we'd see each other. A promise that would be broken as soon as I got on the blasted plane.
My dad poked his head out of the plane. "Come on, sweetie. It's almost time to go." I looked down at the floor, then got in. I went to the row my dad was sitting in. "Why are mom and Aaron sitting in the row behind us?"
"Well, there's only three seats per row, and we didn't want one of us to be alone, so we bought tickets so it'd work out like this."
"Oh." I looked out the window when a voice came over the intercom.
"Ladies and gentlemen, we will be taking off soon. Please buckle your seat belts and turn your devices off. Thank you."
This was actually happening. I wouldn't see Corey, or anyone who lived in California tomorrow. I would be in a new house, surrounded by people I didn't know, in Michigan. Upper Michigan. I sighed, wishing I could go back to the sunny beaches of Cali right now, just stop the plane and drive. Drive anywhere that would get me back. Back to my old school... back to Corey.
"I miss it already and we haven't even gotten off the ground yet." I said to my dad while keeping my eyes on the window.
"I know, honey. But you'll make friends in Michigan. I KNOW you will!"
I turned to him and gave him the best fake smile I could muster. "Thanks dad." It didn't help the fact that I was leaving fifteen years of my life behind. Fifteen years I'd never get back... fifteen years spent with Corey. We had done EVERYTHING together, and now we can't even see each other. I started to tear up. "Don't you dare, wimp! If dad sees you, he'll try to make you feel better and you'll cry even more! You don't want people you don't know to see you like that, do you?!" My brain scolded me. I looked out the window as I bit my lip to keep from crying. I watched the plane start to drive off the runway, everything we passed leaving faster, faster. . . .
The seatbelt light came on. I looked around, everyone already had their seatbelt on, so I buckled mine as well. Then it felt like we were going straight up, like if anyone DIDN'T have their seatbelt on, they would fall to the back of the plane! Once the plane was at the right altitude, it started to level, and the seatbelt sign was turned off.
"Ladies and gentlemen, we are now at a level altitude. You may take off your seat belts. Feel free to move around and use the restroom if needed. There is a refreshment cart, so feel free to have a snack, as well." Intercom lady spoke as another flight attendant pushed a cart full of snacks down the aisle. Ugh, this was going to be a LONG ride. If Corey was here, he'd do something stupid and make me laugh or just sit and talk with me. If Corey was here. . . . "Stop." I took a deep breath. I needed to stop thinking about him, and try to make the best of it. Hey, new school, which means no one knows about that little incident in fifth grade when me and my friend Jennifer stuck our tongues out at each other on the school bus. We had closed our eyes, and then the bus hit a bump. We had TOUCH TONGUES! We immediately opened our eyes and tried to scrape our tongues off, soon noticing that everyone on the bus was looking at us. Let me tell you, I'm in ninth grade, and I STILL hear about it! I made myself chuckle. Those were the good times. I started to think about all the times me and my friends did something stupid, and I drifted off to sleep.