Chapter Eleven

"Alice? Alice! Alice, wake up!" I hollored, "C'mon wake up!" She finally came to. I lifted her upper body off the ground and hugged her as tight as I could without breaking her.

  "Jeff .. cant .. breathe."

  "Sorry. You passed out! What happened?"

  "I'm sorry. I dont run very much."

  "Alice, it's my fault. I should've asked you if you needed a break."

  "I would've refused anyway." she confessed.

  "We'll work on that. Let's be more careful when we go out."

  "I'm sorry to be such a bother."

  "You're not one. Let's eat."

  "Go shower or at least wash your hands." Alice scrubbed her hands and made us pizza rolls.

  "Take off your hoodie for a sec." she did so and I got to look at the rest of her. Her stomach was unproportionate to her body. I was bigger. She saw me looking at her stomach and put her hoodie back on.

  "You're still pretty skinny, you know." I said. I assumed she knew what I was thinking. She put her arms over her abdomen and looked down.

  "Sure." she said.

  We finished eating and went to shower. When she came back, she had on shorts and a t-shirt. I nudged her as I walked past her into the bathroom. My turn.

  I didn't bother putting clothes back on. I wrapped a towel around my waist and went to get a drink from the kitchen.

  Alice looked at my pale skin and pointed out, "You're not wearing any clothes."

  "I've realized that." I sat on the couch next to her. She inched away.

  "I hope you know this could be considered crime. Ya know, being naked and all."

  "You think I care? I'm a serial killer. Besides, I'm 16. It's not crime."

  "Oh. I thought you were older," she paused, "Not that it matters."

  "You sure it doesn't?" I teased.

  "Yep."

  "Kay."

  "Seriously, go put some clothes on."

  "Are you uncomfortable?"

  "Yep."

  "Too bad, Alice."

  Eventually, I got up. I went into my room, brushed my long, papery hair, and got dressed. Slipping on sweats, I wandered into the livingroom. I laid down on the couch and rested my head on Alice's lap. "Hello, Alice."

  "Hey, shirtless. What're you doing?"

  "Resting."

  "Why?"

  "Because I can."

  "Get off me."

  "No."

  "Please?"

  "No, you're a good pillow."

  "I'm not a pillow."

  "Yes, you are."

  "No, I'm alive. Pillows aren't alive."

  "You're my pillow - my living pillow."

  "Get off me, Jeff."

  "No."

  "Get. Off. Me. Jeff."

  "Hello, Pillow!" Just then she pushed me off the couch and laughed. I rolled onto her feet.

  "I give up." she said flatly.

  "Good."

~···~

  After that whole ordeal was taken care of, we had a few more pizza rolls.

  "Eating like this is unhealthy." Alice said.

  "We can't afford anything better."

  "Good point."

  "I'm going to bed."

  "Kay. Goodnight, Jeff."

  "...goodnight..."