Chapter Twelve

The next day, I wake up at about 4:30pm. I sit up and peer into Alice's room. She's sound asleep. "Go into her room. Something doesn't feel right." Okay. Whatever. What I saw next, saddened me. On the bottom of Alice's grey hoodie was blood. That has to be hers. She wore a black one last night. I remembered watching her clean off both our knives. I hesitantly reached under her pillow and pulled out her bloodied pocket knife.

  "Alice," I said, "Wake up." Her eyes fluttered open and she saw her knife in my hand. I knelt down beside her bed, clenched the closed weapon in my hand, and held hers with my other.

  "Please, don't do this anymore." I pleaded.

  "I-I'm so sorry, Jeff." she sobbed.

  "Promise you wont hurt yourself anymore?" I begged. Her cries softened and she spoke through the tears.

  "I.. I promise."

  I released the knife and threw myself onto her bed. With my arms around her, nearly laying on top of her, I gently kissed the side of her head. "Thank you." I whispered. She gripped the chest of my hoodie.

  "I'm gunna clean off this damned knife while you change." I said.

  "Thank you, Jeff." Alice said quietly. I forced a smile but it soon became real knowing she wasn't going to hurt herself anymore. I walked out so she could change. Cleaning her knife in the bathroom sink made me sad because I knew I was washing off her blood. I heard a clicking noise which told me she was out. After drying off her knife, I handed it to her. She put it under her pillow, once again.

  She was about to walk out of her room but I stood in the doorway, blocking it. She knew she couldn't move me if she if tried. "Yes, Jeff?"

  "Can.. I see?" I asked cautiously. I almost feel hurt by this.. Why?

  "I... um..." she stumbled.

  "You.. don't have to ..show me." I said, still hoping she would. She pulled up the left side of her long-sleeved shirt, revealing 6 or 7 meduim-depth cuts on her waist. My face dropped. I pulled her in and held her close. My arms were wrapped around her neck so I didn't hirt her. Alice burried her wet face in my chest. I never realized how much I care about her.

  "Alice,"

  "Yeah..?"

  "You're damn cute. Stop." my voice cracked. She gave me another squeeze before gently breaking our embrace.

  "I'm gunna go make breakfast." She walked down the stairs and stopped at the bottom. She saw me staring. "Weirdo." she teased. Alice tied her hair in a messy bun before she started cooking.

  As I walked down after her, I heard a knock at the door. I went to it and Eyeless Jack was presented to me.

  "Hey, who is that?" he asked before even greeting me. Thanks.

  "Don't eat her." I warned.

  Alice looked up in alarm, "What?" Me and Jack laughed - well, I did. I moved out of the way for Jack. He came in and sat on my couch.

  "Wow. You got her to cook breakfast. You must be good." he cackled.

  "She's 13." I defended.

  "Haha. Pedo."

  "Shut up," I growled, "What're you doing here anyway?"

  "My house is boring."

  "You think mine is any better?" I sat on the couch arm next to him.

  "No, but at least I have company here."

  "You hate company."

  "Weird, right?"

  Alice giggled at the conversation, "Come and get it, Dumb and Dumber."

  I sat down to eat the syrup-covered, blueberry waffles. Mmm.

  "Want some?" she asked Jack.

  "I don't eat 'people food' - I eat.people."

  "Doesn't surprise me." We ate in silence.

  "Thank you, miss bake-tress...?" Alice, I, and even Jack laughed.

///A sad start and a happy ending! Yay!\\\