27: Final Chapter

I called Justin and told him that I was too tired to drive back.  I wanted him to stay the night with me so I invitied him over.

He tried comforting me best he could, but it wasn't working very well.  I continued sobbing for hours and hours.

I felt like I deserved the pain I was being put through because of the fact that I lost contact with my mom for all of those months.  I felt like this was God's punishment for not making amends with her.

I wanted, more than anything, to retrieve the time back that I lost from those months that I wasn't in contact with her.  

I told Justin that I wanted to go out to lunch with her today and catch up with eachother.  We were all leaving the house to go to this cafe that's in Los Angeles.

Once we were seated, we began talking.

"How was touring with Justin?" she asked

"It was one of the best experiences that I have ever had.  Not only was I doing what I love, I was sharing the whole experience with the one I love."

My mom looked over at Justin who was looking down at me.

"Where have you been staying for all of these months?  I've been worried sick but I knew that you wouldn't want to talk to me unless I told you about what was going on." she said

"I've been staying at Justin's house.  His house is absolutely beautiful," I smiled.

After we ordered our food, we continued catching up.  The paparazzi's were watching through the large glass window that was located at the front of the restaraunt. 

We finished up eating and dropped my mom off back home and drove back to Justin's place.  My mom didn't mention her cancer, or chemo therapy.  It was odd because you would think she would like to inform me, but she just kept silent. 

"Justin?" 

"Huh?" he yelled from downstairs

"Do you think my mom is lying about having cancer?"

"Why would she do that?"

"She knew that I wouldn't forgive her for just throwing me out for such a silly reason so she thought making up being sick would bring her back into my life.  It all makes sense now."

"Liz, calm down.  I don't think she would lie about something so serious..." he admitted

"You don't know my mom," I curtly replied.

We cleaned the house a little bit and I couldn't get my mind off the fact that my mom would lie about something so serious.  Does she not even respect the fact that her husband passed because of cancer?

I thought that the only way I could get to the bottom of this is to contact her doctor.  I called the office and told them that I would be coming in to check my mothers medical records.  They told me that I had the authorization to read over them being that I am her daughter.

I took Justin's car over to the doctors office and asked to see the records.  I turned into the parking lot and got out of the car.

I opened the door and went up to the desk clerk and said, "Hi, I'm here to see my mother's records."

I gave her my mothers name and she passed me the folder.  I didn't want to open it because I was too nervous to be faced with the truth.  I finally took a seat in the waiting chair and opened it.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  It said that she hasn't had any medical attention in over three years.  I'm glad I trusted my instict, but I wish I let it be.  I would rather go about my life thinking my mother had cancer than knowing and not being able to form into words that I knew.