Chapter 17-Ode to Sleep (Part Two)

This is part two of chapter sixteen,Ode to Sleep

Tyler's P.O.V.

He left. I stood by the door and watched him go until he was out of sight. Then I stood there frozen in my place, the silence of the empty house was violent. The silence slammed into my frame and rattled my mind. My thoughts were always my enemy, hurting me at any chance they found. They hurt me now. My mind slipped back to that day when I was twelve years old.

******

My mom had just died six months ago. My father was drowning himself in booze and was gone most nights. My brother was still home with me though so I felt okay. Sometimes he acted strangely but he just missed mom like I did, it was to be expected. His friends came over a lot, they were loud and smelt strange but they were cool and let me hang out with them sometimes and it made me feel cool that older teenagers let me hang out with them.

Other times they would send me away and I would go upstairs to my room. But curiosity sometimes got the better of me and I would sneak down the hall and stand of the staircase and eavesdrop on their conversation. I could hear them doing things but I never saw any of it. I was naive. I had been up in my bedroom reading a book, I think it was around noon on a Saturday. Zack came up to my room and told me to get my shoes on because we were going somewhere. Without a word I set my book down and got up to put my sneakers on. I followed Zack outside and got in his truck.

“Where are we going,” I asked innocently.

“Uh just to a friends house,” Zack responded distractedly as he paid attention to the mirror while backing out of the driveway.

“Oh okay,” I said staring out the window as he drove. It was a rainy day. That I remember crystal clear. The grey clouds were a bit of literary foreshadowing unknown to me in that moment. The ride took about thirty minute, my brother’s ‘friend’ lived all the way across town. We pulled in the driveway of a rather old and worn down single story house. “Get out,” my brother said not meeting my eyes as he got out of the truck himself.

I obediently did as he told and followed my brother up the cobblestone walk to the house. My brother knocked on the door a couple of times and no one answered it. “Vinny,” my brother yelled. “It’s me Zack, open the fucking door.”

We heard some shuffling and the sound of something being knocked over before the door opened revealing who I later found out to be Vinny’s brother Luke. “Are you the one here to pay off that debt with the kid?”

“Uh yeah, he’s right here. This is my brother Tyler.”

“What’s going on,” I asked confused about the situation, completely oblivious to what was happening.

“Nothing, uh you’ll be staying here for a little while with Vinny and Luke here. I’ll be back to pick you up later.”

“Why do I have to stay here?”

“Because I fucking said so, okay. Don’t ask so many goddamn questions,” my brother snapped. He shoved me in front of him and Luke wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into the doorway with him.

“Don’t worry Zack, after this you’re debt will be cleared. The kid’ll be fine, we’ll call you when we’re done.”

Zack just nodded and turned and walked back to his truck, we stood there watching him go and his face remained stoic as he drove away. “Come on in kid, Tyler’s your name, right?”

“Yeah. So you’re a friend of Zack’s,” I asked as he lead me through the filthy home to the living room where he released his hold on my shoulder and told me to have seat on the couch. “Eh sort of, more like business associates but it really doesn’t matter. Wait here, I gotta go get Vinny.”

I sat on the couch slightly confused but blissfully unaware of what was about to happen. I looked around the dated house which looked like it was straight out of the seventies with it’s orange shag carpet and dark wood paneling walls. There were no pictures on the wall and the room kind of stunk of an unidentifiable odor.

I heard the sound of voices coming down the hallway before I saw the man named Vinny. When he appeared I saw his stick thin frame, he was tall maybe around six foot. He had a rat face and a crooked smile which matched his crooked teeth. His hair was shaggy and he had some stubble on his face. He smiled that crooked smile when he saw me, he came and sat down beside me and put his arm around me. It made me kind of uncomfortable but I didn’t say anything. “Hey Tyler, Luke tells me that’s your name.” Luke sat down on the other side of me.

“Yeah that’s my name.”

“Very nice. How old are you Tyler?”

“I just turned twelve this month, my birthday was the first.”

“Wow that’s very cool. Twelve years old huh. That’s a fun age, just discovering yourself and your body. I remember it fondly.” His hand came up and caressed my face, I back away from his touch. “Ah Tyler, don’t be like that, it’ll really only make things worse for you.” He reached out a touched my face again, I tried to back away again, suddenly feeling very scared. “Stop. Don’t touch me,” I said sternly my voice shaking.

“Oh Tyler, you don’t really get a say in any of this. If you cooperate I’ll be more gentle, or maybe not, sometimes I can get carried away.

Vinny reached out and grabbed me roughly pulling me onto his lap. “Damn you’re a nice little piece of young ass. Can you feel that, you’re making me very happy.” He reached up and touched my face again, this time leaning forward to kiss me. I stood frozen in place terrified and repulsed. I struggled against him. Luk reached out and grabbed me, he was much bigger than Vinny and held me still with little effort.

“You don’t seem to like this Tyler, but that’s just too bad.”

He reached down and tore off my shirt and rubbed his hands down my chest, they paused at my pants. Tears streamed down my face the entire time that he forced himself on me and made me do stuff to him. He smiled and gave a small wave as he walked down the hallway, going to bed with the declaration that he was tired. I lay there on the floor tears streaming down my face, blood covering the floor from what he’d done to me. Once he was gone Luke walked back into the room, he’d left shortly after Vinny started. He was carrying a towel, he threw it at me “Here clean up with this then get dressed you’re brother will be here soon to pick you up.”

He then walked back down the hallway and I sat up, every inch of my body crying out in pain. There was blood and white stuff where he had been inside of me. A sob wracked my body and I shook as I cleaned myself up the best I could. I put my clothes on and my skin crawled. I walked to the door and went outside and stood there waiting for my brother to come. Silent tears streamed down my face as I stood there with my arms wrapped around my body. My brother pulled in the driveway and I walked to his truck and got in.

He didn’t look at me when I got in the truck. He didn’t say a word as he pulled out of the driveway or the entire drive home. He didn’t say anything when we got home and I followed him inside the house. He didn’t say anything as he made his way to his room and slammed the door shut, leaving me standing alone in the kitchen, the sound of my father snoring in the living room startled me and I went up to my room and shut the door before falling apart.

****** I fell to the ground as the memories came rushing back. The pain as he entered me, the lack of oxygen as he forced me to take more of him in my mouth. Tears flooded my eyes and I shook. It was blurry, the blade I held in front of my face. I couldn’t even really see as I began to slice into my arm. It hurt so good. I couldn’t stop. It was so good. So I didn’t. Until I did.