Chapter 10

Josh's P.O.V.

We walked hand in hand out of the movie theaters under the cover of the night that had fallen. Tyler walked close to me, nestled into my side so that I could feel the warmth of him through my t-shirt. I didn’t want the night to end so I suggested we go for walk to the park. It was a slightly chilly fall night but the last of that summer warmth was still hanging by a thread making it bearable. We took our time walking through town, it was oddly quiet for a Saturday night but we enjoyed the solitude.

The park was beautiful, located in the center of town right on the Raquette river. Several tiny islands dotted the river and across the river was the view of the old Bayside Cemetery. We sat down in the park on a bench over looking river in time to catch the last bit of the sun set. It was all quite romantic and I wrapped my arm around Tyler’s shoulder and he tucked into my side. It was perfect.

“Did you have a good time,” I asked Tyler, looking down to see his face which was dimly lit from a nearby street lamp.

“It was awesome, Josh. Thank you so much.”

“I should be thanking you, for saying yes to the date in the first place. I can’t believe you want to be my boyfriend.”

“Josh, I can’t believe that you want to be my boyfriend. I feel so inconsequential compared to you. You’re captain of the soccer, team a star athlete and one of the most popular guys at school. And me, while I’m just some fucked up loser who’s basically worthless and will probably never achieve anything in life.”

“Tyler,” I said facing him and meeting his eyes which searched my own. “Tyler I wish you could see yourself through my eyes, because what I see is someone who is amazing, and sweet, and kind. You are far from fucked up, we’re all dealing with demons and maybe yours are bigger than most people’s but you are so strong because you’ve dealt with so much and yet you’re still here, you’re still standing. We’re all broken people, but that doesn’t mean that together we can’t be whole.” I saw a tear slip from his eye and I leaned down a wiped it away with my thumb.

“I feel like I’m always crying around you.”

“That’s okay, I feel honored that you feel comfortable enough to cry around me, never feel ashamed of needing to let it out.”

“I feel really lucky to have you Josh. If I didn’t have you I think I would be dead by now. But I’m alive and I’m happy that I’m alive and that I’m with you.”

“I’m happy that you’re alive to I said wrapping my arms around him tightly, never wanting to let go because I was afraid that if I did he would disappear. I leaned down and tentatively touched my lips to his and we kissed under the moonlight. The kiss was soft and gentle and reassuring to both of us.

We sat there under the stars and the moon for hours sometimes talking, sometimes not. When we got up to walk back to my car I saw Tyler shiver a bit in the brisk night air. Neither of us had jackets so I wrapped my arm around him and held him close. “Here,” I said taking off my favorite snapback and putting it on his head. “I know it would be more romantic to give you my jacket but I don’t have one so take my hat”

He laughed at me put reached up to adjust the hat on his head with a little smirk on his face. I smiled at him and he reached up and gave me a peck on the lips. “Thanks Josh.” “You’re welcome Tyler,” I said leaning down to give him a peck on the lips. I drove Tyler home and we had a brief yet passionate goodbye kiss before he got out of the car. I sat there in the car watching him walk up to the porch and inside. He was still wearing my hat.