Chapter 30

I crouched down behind the couch grinning from ear to ear in anticipation. The day was December first which was a pretty important day for the world--nay-- the universe. Today was the day that my beautiful, wonderful, handsome, sexy boyfriend was born.

My mom had dragged Tyler out with her to go shopping and as soon as he left we all raced to set up his surprise party. Jordan, Hannah, and my dad all helped decorate the kitchen and living room with tacky streamers and way too many balloons. I set the cake out on the table, it was a three layer triple chocolate fudge cake which I’d recently discovered was Tyler’s favorite. I put the candles on the cake, a big one and a six, he was turning sixteen years old.

The doorbell rang and I ran to answer it, it was a few of my teammates and they all came lumbering in with gifts. I was ordering everyone around because I wanted everything to be perfect for Tyler. He hadn’t had a proper party in a long time, and being the amazing boyfriend I was, I was going to give him the whole shabang. I was practically shaking in anticipation of seeing his face when we all jumped out and yelled ‘surprise’. I really hoped he loved it, because he deserved all the good things in the world and I wanted to give them to him.

My phone buzzed and I looked down at the text from my mom saying they would be there in five minutes. “Five minutes!” I screamed, racing around in even more of a frantic state getting the last few things finished before the birthday boy arrived. “Everybody to your hiding places,” I yelled. The last of my friends had arrived just a few minutes prior and I shot them a glare for being late when I told them not to be.

But I withheld any comments and hid down behind the couch. Everyone else was scattered about the room, under tables and behind furniture. I heard two of my teammates, Jared and Jensen I think, giggling in the closet. OMG, just come out already, I thought wryly to myself. Those two were so into each other, it was only a matter of time until they were together.

But this was no time for them to explore their repressed homosexual feelings. “Shut up you two!” I yelled to them across the room. They promptly quieted. It was only about a minute later that we heard keys jangling at the door, I got ready to jump up. We heard the door swing open and footsteps echo in the foyer we got ready to jump out. As soon as the echo of footsteps disappeared we knew he’d stepped into the living room carpet. That was the moment we all pounced. “Surprise!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, jumping up from behind the couch and seeing the look on Tyler’s face. He stumbled back slightly startled, his eyes wide with excitement once he realized what was happening.

My mom walked in right behind him and pulled him into a hug, I was kind of mad she beat me but I was the second person to pull him into a hug and I got to give him a kiss which made it all better. “Happy birthday babe,” I whispered in his ear. He smiled and looked around the room at everyone who was there to celebrate his birthday and I could tell he was getting emotional.

Jared raced up to him and wished him a happy birthday, everyone came up and wished him a good birthday. Jordan took initiative to turn on the music so the party could get a proper start. My favorite part of the day was watching Tyler dance around the room looking so awkward but just so cute. He was laughing and his eyes were so carefree and full of light. I loved how my teammates had accepted him into our group and accepted our relationship without much of a second thought.

Life was so good in that moment and I was so thankful for everything I had in life and most of all thankful for this boy who had just magically appeared in my life and made it so much better than I could have ever imagined. I walked over and turned down the music and announced that it was time to cut the cake. Tyler’s eyes lit up when I lead him over to the cake. “I know chocolate is your favorite so I told them to put literally all the chocolate in this cake.” He laughed, “Thanks babe, the cake is sick as frick.”

Everyone gathered around the table to sing and my mom lit the candles and turned out the lights. Tyler was then serenaded by a tone deaf yet passionate rendition of Happy Birthday. “Now you have to blow out the candles,” I told him. He stood there thinking thoughtfully about what he wanted to wish for before he leaned down and blew them out in one breath. “What did you wish for?” Jordan asked. “I can’t tell you that if I do then my wish doesn’t come true, don’t you know the rules?” “I know the rules, I’m just a nosy bastard,” Jordan said laughing to himself.

My mom served up the cake and Tyler got the first piece and it was huge with lots of frosting which he got on his face. I reached over and wiped it away with a napkin, having to restrain myself from licking it off in front of our guests. But I was feeling kind of naughty so I leaned over and whispered in his ear. “Later tonight I’ll give you my gift, once everyone’s gone and you’ve got less clothes on.” He blushed and I couldn’t help but laugh at my innocent little burrito of a boyfriend.

It was pretty late once everyone had left and we were finally able to get upstairs to go to ‘sleep’. I’m pretty sure sleep was the last thing on both of our minds as we made our way to bed. Once we were in my bedroom and the door was securely shut and locked I wrapped my arms around my boyfriend’s waist and pulled him in close to me.

“So did you have a good birthday?” I asked looking into his beautiful brown eyes. “It was the best birthday ever. I feel so loved, and I’m just so happy right now. I’m afraid it’s all a dream or something. I don’t feel like I deserve all this.” “Tyler you deserve so much more than this, you deserve the world. You are an amazing person and an amazing boyfriend. I just love you so much. You’ve made my life so much better by being a part of it.”

A few tears ran down his cheek when I spoke to him and I leaned down to kiss them away. “No tears tonight babe.” I leaned in and kissed the boy I love and a feeling of such completeness washed over me. Tyler completed my heart. “I couldn’t help falling in love with you Tyler,” I said breaking apart from him for a moment to stare him in the eyes. And love is a lot like falling, it’s a risk and it can sometimes be scary but it’s also exhilarating and you feel free from the constraints of the Earth. So I couldn’t help falling in love with Tyler but I did and now we were falling together hand in hand and it was nothing short of epic in every way a love should be epic. “Make love to me Josh,” Tyler asked me, all shyness and trepidation gone from his voice. “Anything for you my birthday boy.”