20 years ago

Signless' POV

It was spring which meant strong storms.  This one had fallen on us unexpected.  The rain pounded on the roof of the aquarium.  I could tell the creatures we're scared especially our new addition Feferi.  She was a mertroll who had ended up here two weeks ago due to a storm much like the one we we're in the middle of.  Dave, who was a penguin paced around my feet and squawking every time thunder rumbled.  I picked him up and patted him feathered head which seemed to make him calm down.

The wind was blowing so hard it whistled through the aquarium which was quiet now that Dave had calmed down.  I looked out of the near-by window and saw giant waves smashing against trees on the beach.  A few of the trees had broken and fallen due to the force of the water.  The lightning flashed brightly causing Dave to hide his eyes on my shoulder.  Just then Haidmaid threw open the door and yelled.

"Signless you need to come with me now."  It seemed rude to boss your boss around but I could tell in her voice that this was important.  We ran to the doors which had been forced open by the wind.  On the concrete lay a being that looked like a human.  She had black skin with blue patches that we're lit up.  Her hair was very long and tangled.  It was black as her skin with streaks of fuchsia.  She had giant horns and her arms we're connected to her side by giant flaps of skin that looked like wings.  Her back had a huge fin like that of a sharks.  She had a eel like tail and human legs.  It was only the lower part of her legs with the rest of them fused to the tail.  But she had normal feet like a human and normal legs up to her knees where it met her tail.  Her skin felt dry even though the rain was coating her body in water.

"We need to get her inside into some water!"  My focus on the creature was broken by Handmaid's voice.  I picked her up the best I could her long tail draped down to my knees.  She seemed barely conscious but her arms clung onto me.  We ran to the infirmary when Psiioniic sat at his computer filling in logs.

"Geez you scared me again.  Should I just expect this every time we have a huge storm." He said with his back still turned to me.  He turned around in his chair and jumped up when he saw what I had.

"Here bring her over here and put her in this tank."  I did as he told me.  She seemed more awake now that she was submerged in water.

"What's on your jacket."  Handmaid pointed to the silver liquid that stained my jacket.  I took it off to examine it only to have it taken out of my hands by Psiioniic. 

"It looks like blood."  Then he looked over at the tank.  The creature was staring at us with her hand pressed against the glass.  I noticed a huge cut on her arm.  The same silver liquid was leaking out of it.  She put her head above the surface and looked around curiously.  Psiioniic grabbed a needle and some thread and stitched the cut together and bandaging it.  After this had happened she sunk below the surface again.

"Well she needs a name."

"How about we name her Eren"

"Handmaid why would we do that."

"It means holy saint.  It seems appropriate for her."

"Psiioniic do you even know what she is?"

"She looks like a mer-troll but also seems like a manta ray.  I don't knows its really hard to tell.  I don't think I've ever seen something like her before."  

"Maybe we should keep any eye on her.  She could share Feferi's tank right."

"Yes I think so.  I want to check on her before I put her there though."

Weeks had gone by before Psiioniic became to frustrated with Eren.  She hadn't been causing trouble it was just frustrating trying to figure out what she was or what she could do.  Every so often she needed to be in deeper water to survive.  It got to the point where she had her own tank that was 75 feet deep.  Handmaid tried to observe her underwater but Eren was usually in the cave at the bottom of her tank.  Weeks turned into months and they had slowly been unable to do anything for the creature.  She started sleeping for long periods of time and slowly grew larger until she was about twice the size of the Grand Highblood.  The last time Handmaid saw her she seemed to be at her full size and was going to sleep for the last time.  After that they forgot about her.  No one in the aquarium knew she existed anymore.