First Task

Karine's POV

We walk down the hall way which appears to be blue due to the light shining through the water.  I am completely dazzled by the ripple effect the light is reflecting on my skin.    I walk up to a tank that Sollux stopped to look at.  I see a purple walrus who has white stripes, frizzy hair and long curly horns.  I wave at him and he waves his flipper back at me.  I can't help but smile like an idiot.

"He's so cute.  What's his name?"

"This is Gamzee."

"Hi Gamzee."  The walrus makes a bubbling sound almost like he's trying to say hello back to me.  I giggle more feeling like a young girl again.  Everything around me is so wonderful, it felt like I was home.  We continued to walk down the hall.  We get to the tank in the corner of the aquarium.  A small girl is inside.  She is wearing a black tank top with a fuchsia Pieces symbol on it.  She has fuchsia goggles and long black hair.  Her skin is grey and she has horns like Gamzee did.  She also has a tail.

"Karine I want you to meet Feferi."  He presses his face against the glass while Feferi pressed her ear.  "FF I have a new friend for you.  This is Karine."  The mermaid claps and swims to the surface.  I climb the stairs to the platform that is next to the top of the tank.

"Hi Karine.  It's nice to meet you."  Her voice is slightly higher than mine but is very bubbly and cheerful.

"Hello Feferi.  I like your hair, and your tail, and your jewelry.  I'm sorry for rambling.  I mean to say your pretty."

"Thanks.  Your pretty too.  I like your glasses.  Hey Sollux."

"Hey Feferi.  You wanted me and Karkat to clean your tank today right."

"You don't have to if your busy."

"Nah FF its fine.  We can do it today."

"Okay!"  Feferi wraps her arms around Sollux who picks her up and carries her down the stairs and back to the infirmary where she sits in a shallow pool.

"Hey Karine if you don't mind would you like to help."

"Yes I would love to.  It'll be fun."

"If you say so.  Actually its pretty fun."  He adds the second statement when he sees my smile fall slightly.  He was right it was fun.  I also got to meet Karkat who was in charge of cleaning.  Sollux said he was normally grumpy but he was being nice to me.

"That's odd for KK.  He normally growls at everyone and everything except Feferi.  I guess your personality is a miracle."

"Thanks Sollux."  I say flashing him a smile.  He smiles back at me blushing slightly.  I look up at Feferi who's sitting on the edge of her tank with her tail in the tank right next to hers.

"Hey Sollux.  What's in that giant tank?"

"No one knows except Feferi and she won't tell anyone.  We think its just empty and she pretends their something there to mess with us."

"Oh okay."  We finish up cleaning and I sit a the top stair exhasted.

"You alright."  I look up and see Karkat,  He's smiling at me which is rumored to be rare.

"Yes I'm fine.  That was tiring work but Sollux wasn't wrong it was fun."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it."  I stand up to talk to Feferi.

"Hey Feferi."  Right before I finish talking she dives into the large tank.  I look over the edge to see if she was okay and my hand slips on the wet edge of the tank.  It causes me to lose my balance and fall in.  I hear Sollux and Karkat scream my name and I start sinking to the bottom.  I finally see the bottom as well as a blue glow when Feferi grabs me and swims me back to the surface.  As my head emerges I gasp in air like I had never taken a breath before.  Sollux helps me out of the water and Karkat hands me a towel.

"Feferi what was that down their."  The mermaid doesn't respond.  Instead she leaps from the water and lands in her own tank.

"Karine.  There's nothing in that tank."

"But I saw a light."

"Are you sure your feeling alright.  Let's get you back to the infirmary and get you so dry clothes." Sollux says as we head back to the infirmary.  I look at the tank I just fell in scanning the bottom for the blue glow.  It occurred to me that the tank extended far below the floor.