Hangover

Karine's POV

I woke up with a mild headache and sat up.  The room was spinning and everything was blurry.  Once I put on my glasses I could see more clearly.  I walked out to the living room surprisingly easier than I had last night.  My bro was sitting on the couch reading a magazine and sipping coffee.

"Hey sis want some."  I walked over to the coffee pot and pour myself some plain black coffee and sat down beside him on the couch.

"You feeling okay."

"Yea I'm fine, pretty sure Kankri was the worst."

"He only had like three drinks."

"I know."  We both laugh.

."Well since I'm not allowed to go to work today what do you want to do?"

"Actually I have a job interview."

"Where?"

"The aquarium."  I choked on my coffee

"What!"

"I'm not kidding sis."

"Okay I'll hang out by myself today."  He finished his coffee and headed out.  I sat on the couch and peacefully finished my coffee when my phone went off.

It was Sollux.

"Hey Karine.  Do you wanna go out to lunch with me and Mituna."

"I guess unless one of you two are still hungover."

"No we're both fine.  The guys just wanted to do something since Signless told us not to come to work."

"So everyone's recovered."

"Well Kanrki's still a little loopy but otherwise we need something to do for the day."

"How about I make us lunch and we just go to the beach instead."

"Okay I'll let them know."  He said as he hung up.

I began making like 30 sandwiches and the rest of lunch and put it in a giant picnic basket.  I also packed my swimsuit.  I met my friends at the beach.

"Hey Rufioh where's Tav?"

"Since he didn't drink he went to work today sucker."  Rufioh smiled and took a sip of his soda.

"What are we laying off the drinks today?"  Roxy who also had soda walked up.

"Yea unfortunately."  They both giggled.

"Well I'm gonna go put my swimsuit on and then we can set up lunch while we wait for the others."  When I got back Roxy had already laid out the giant picnic blanket I had brought.  She had also set out the food and helped herself to some of the cookies.  She took her jacket off which underneath she had her swimsuit.  It was black with pink swirls all over it.

"Hey Karine, can I see your swimsuit."

"Well do I have to.  I mean well its just."

"Come on."  She grabbed the shirt I had over it and pulled it off of me exposing the teal top of my bikini.

"Wow."

"Well it was the only one I own."

"No I like it I just never expected someone like you to wear it."

"Offensive."

"You know I didn't mean it like that."  Rufioh walks up to us and stands their with his mouth open.

"Yea I know we're hot."  Roxy said in a confident stance taking in all the attention.  Our other friends drove up in Porrim's jeep.

"Hey Porrim where's your little sis."  Rufioh asked when he noticed Kanaya wasn't there.

"She didn't drink if you didn't notice.  She went to work today as well."  We all burst out laughing for no reason.

"Well guys I brought lunch."  We all sat down and managed to eat all the food I packed.  I sat on the beach talking with Kankri who was still hazy and out of it while everyone else decided to go swimming.  He was once again babbling but it didn't really make sense for once.

"Hey Karine do you want to go swim."  Sollux walked up to me.

"Not really."

"Why not."

"I just don't really want to."

"It's because you don't like me."

I hesitated

"No I get it.  I'm sorry about about Jack and acting like a prick.  I really am."

"Okay I forgive you.  Lets go swim.  I think Kankri needs to recover a little more."  Which last I checked he didn't.  Roxy smuggled a few beers in and they decided to share.  We played around and splashed in the water until sunset.  Most of our friends were on the beach setting up a fire.  Kankri was still sitting with Roxy drinking.  The only difference was Roxy was now sitting on Rufioh's lap and he had his arm around her.  My attention was drawn back to Sollux who still had my hand held in his.

"Have I ever told you how pretty you we're."

"Yea have I ever told you that I knew you made those cookies for me at Christmas."

"How did you know about it?"

"The note, the handwriting and the fact that you made them yourself."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be I liked them."  I smiled at him.  He was blushing.

"Hey I have a question."

"Yea what is it."

"Can I kiss you?"

"If you want to."  All the heaviness in my heart, all the regret I felt about Jack melted away when his lips touched mine.  They were soft and warm.  I wanted to stay like this in his arms forever.

"Hey lovebirds how about you come eat dinner."  Porrim shouted from the beach.  We walked through the water to the beach where our friends had a roaring fire.  Rufioh handed me a plate of food.

"How did you guys get this."

"Porrim  went to the store when you two weren't looking."  I had almost completely forgotten the day on the boat when the accident happened.  I forgot all about Jack but there was still this tugging at my heart that wouldn't allow me to forget about him but right now was better than all the heartache.  The only bad think was that Kankri was now passed out drunk again