23

The arrow had barely nicked the tree. It went right past it, maybe almost a centimeter away, then hit the other one. Right as it went straight into the other tree, she notched another arrow, then let go of the quiver as she turned her body to hit the deer. The girl smiled when it fell to the ground.

Madelaine hadn't done it. No, she only watched. Who could that be? Why was she in these woods? More importantly, why was she in Gaston's woods. Madelaine ran over to am tree right by the deer. She hid behind the large oak and glanced around it. She saw the girl inspecting it and realized that she shot the heart.

Bad idea.

"Please jolt up, please jolt up, please jolt up," Madelaine whispered to herself repeatedly. deer made one little movement, and Madelaine smiled. The other girl stepped back, notching another arrow. Madelaine mentally groaned. She notched her arrow, then turned at shot right where its liver was. The deer didn't move again, making Madelaine smiled. "Little tip, shoot for the liver first." The other girl moved quickly, pinning Madelaine up against the tree and holding the arrow to her throat.

"Who the hell are you?"

"I could ask you the same question, these are his woods, and mine. Not your's," Madelaine said quickly, making the girl furrow her eyebrows.

"Who's he?" she asked, pointing the arrow closer.

"Eh, you'll find out soon enough," Madelaine said, slightly smirking. She gripped the arrow, pulling it roughly out of the girls hands and punching her across the face. Madelaine then swept the girls legs from under her and pinned her down on the ground. The girl looked up at Madelaine with wide eyes, not knowing what to do.

"Can I ask who you are again?" she asked, searching Madelaine's face.

"My name is Madelaine," she said, tilting her head to the side. The girl's eyes widened slightly, and she nodded.

"May I ask,did your parents die of plague two years ago? And did they live in a town not that far from here?" she asked. Madelaine was taken back by the question, and nodded.

"Yes, why?" she asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"It's nice to meet you, Madelaine. I'm your sister, Allison."

*****

Madelaine slammed the door to the cottage after Allison had followed in behind her. She knew it couldn't have been the Allison that she read of in that letter. There were too many Allison's for that. But what if it was?

"Sit tight, I'll be back in a second," Madelaine said. She noticed how much younger the girl was than her, and sighed. Gaston was either that much of a womanizer, or he had a thing back then for young girls. She had to be around twenty two. Gaston was twenty seven at this time. The war ended in 1799. Two years of his memories were erased. It's 1801. He definitely remembers the war just ending.

"Do you mind if I get some water?" Allison asked as Madelaine searched for the box again. She sighed, stopping for a second.

"Yes, I do mind. I said sit there," she said over her shoulder. Madelaine found the box, and went to the bottom where she put the note. She had thrown aside different things, but gently placed other things too. When she finally got to the note, she noticed that there was another presence in the room. She turned around to see Allison standing in the doorway. "Can you read this over and tell me if you recognize it at all?"

"Yeah, sure," the girl mumbled. She took the note from Madelaine, and began reading. Her eyes widened once she got to the end and looked up at Madelaine. "Oh my god." Madelaine grabbed the note, putting it back in the box.