Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Two days later and I still can’t get Preston’s words out of my head. I didn’t tell Michael, that would be a big mistake. I can’t believe Michael would be able to do such a thing, it doesn’t seem likely. Maybe Preston made the whole story up just to get a rise out of me. But why would someone make a story like that? It didn’t seem like the type of thing you joke about.

Michael knew something was up. I was quiet and distant. We stayed at the dorm the whole weekend, but he still had plenty of time to try and bug me. I would shrug everything off.

We were grocery shopping for his mom when he stopped next to some cheese. He rested a hand on my shoulder and made me stop as well. “Brenna, what’s wrong?” He almost never used my full name anymore.

“Nothing is wrong, Michael.”

“Ever since the movie, you’ve been acting weird.” There was pity in his eyes. “Something is wrong.”

“Do you know a guy named Preston?” I asked him. Please say no.

“That guy,” he said ominously, “Yeah, I know that guy. He’s a total dick, I wouldn’t listen to anything he says.”

“Really? Because he said that you made his girlfriend cheat on him and then she left him.”

Michael’s face fell. I could tell that what Preston had told me was the truth. Why, Michael, why? I frowned and tears started to well in my eyes. I didn’t want it to be true, I so desperately wanted it to be a lie.

“Bree, that was a long time ago. Since then I’ve changed,” he pleaded with me. I wanted to slap him.

“A person just doesn’t change!” I yelled at him. I started to walk away from him, when he caught my wrist.

“I’ve been different ever since…” he trailed off.

“Ever since what?” I asked him quietly.

“Ever since I met you,” he whispered.

My eyes widened and I looked at him. I opened my mouth and then closed it again; I lost all of my words. Obviously he could see that I was struggling and knew exactly what I was thinking. “You’ve been a wonderful friend. After you became my best friend I realized that maybe girls do have feelings.” Phew, it was just because I was his best friend.

“Did you ever say sorry?”

“Preston won’t listen to me. I don’t think he ever will.” I frowned at Michael, I could tell that Michael was sorry.

“I’ll talk to him for you,” I said with confidence.

His head snapped up. “You-you will?” He asked in disbelief.

“Yes, just tell me with which dorm is his.” Michael vigorously nodded.

We finished our shopping trip and went to the register. Michael grabbed a candy bar and added it to the food. The girl behind the counter was trying to flirt with Michael desperately. Michael nodded here and there; he even flirted a little too. I helped the guy bag everything. He was looking very annoyed with Michael; looks like someone has a crush on their coworker.

Michael paid for everything and made me push the cart. When we got into the parking lot, I got on the shopping cart and rode towards the car. I almost hit a car backing out, but I fell off and pushed the cart quick enough to advert collision. Michael ran up to me and made sure I was okay. I was fine, a little scratched up, but fine.

For once I got to drive the car. Part of it was that Michael was tried and part of it was I kept begging. I don’t care how it happened, all I know is I’m driving and I’m happy. Michael dozed in the passenger seat, having full confidence in my driving skills. I wasn’t that bad, we managed to get to the house and I only ran one stop sign.