Chapter 21

Chapter 21

My mouth was dry and my stomach was empty. I was beginning to hate the heat. I’ve walked maybe a mile or two down the road. Could be further, I was never great about telling distances. Still, there haven't been any homes or sings of homes. The cool ocean breeze is comforting. The ocean looks enticing itself, however, I know it will taste salty and bitter. Another low growl came from my stomach.

I reached the top of the next hill. Two homes were in sight. I don’t think I can go any further than the first house. I almost fell to my knees with the next step. I paused to regain my balance and then took another, shaky step toward the homes.

Loud music came from the one I was headed for. The other seemed silent enough. The first thing that came to mind was a party. What better place to have a party than Hawaii? My head ached from dehydration. I have the smallest will to go in that home. But what if I can only make it to the other one, and then there is nobody there?

I’m throwing things a bit out of proportion. It’s only been a little while since I left our small bungalows. However, I hadn’t eaten anything since the Subways sandwich. I stopped in front of the door and looked at it for a minute. The noise was raging behind the door.

I gave a small knock. There was nothing. All hope was lost. My knees gave in and I fell to the ground. I rested my head on the door for a second before knocking again. I still couldn’t tell if anyone had heard my small knocking against the loud music. I closed my eyes. I rested my head against the door again.

The next thing I knew I was falling forwards. My face hit a plush carpet. I stayed like that for a few seconds before lifting my face. Preston’s face came into view. He was kneeling next to me. I blinked a couple of times.

“What are you doing here, Preston?” I asked.

“My friends and I are having a party.” I looked at him with a dull expression.

“So what are you doing on the floor?” He asked me.

“I’m starving, thirsty, and seriously tired.”

“Sounds fun. Why don’t you come with me to my bungalow next-door.”

“My mommy told me not to go to a stranger’s home,” I said.

“Fine, I’ll just go back to the party and you can sleep on the doorstep.”

We laughed for a couple minutes before he steadied me and helped me to his bungalow. He handed me a large glass of water. It slid down my throat and quenched my thirst. I finished the whole thing in two drinks. Preston filled it up again and handed it back to me. I took a sip and set it on the counter next to me.

Preston’s bungalow was similar to the one George had rented for the kids to stay in. Preston’s was larger, however. I sat down on his couch. He’s heating me up a hot pocket. I am so hungry I think I could eat a whole box of the family pack hot pockets. The beep of the microwave made my stomach growl.

“Want to tell me what happened?” Preston handed me a plate.

“Or eat and take a nap,” I suggested.

“Brenna,” he pleaded.

“Fine. Let me eat first,” I grumbled.

I took a couple bites and it was like heaven. So I get hungry fast. People judge way too much these days. I finished chewing and then looked at Preston. He was looking at me intently and waiting for me to tell my story.

“I got in a fight with Michael,” I admitted.

He looked at me like I was dumb. “That’s it?” he asked.