Chapter 20

Chapter 20

The plane touched down with a bump. I woke from my light sleep. Michael’s head was resting on my shoulder. He was out like a light. I think the worst part is that he’s kind of drooling on my shoulder, that’s not cool. For some reason I didn’t have it in me to wake him up. He looked extremely cute in the position.

Gwen elbowed Michael in the gut. He jumped. I suppressed my laughter– he nearly rammed his head into his mom's head. Gwen glared at her son. She was not a happy camper. I’m borderline unhappy because of the seats. They weren’t the best and it was the longest plane ride ever.

People started pouring into the aisle. Gwen and Michael got up, I followed their lead. We squeezed into the row of people. I’m glad all I brought was my book, it would have been chaos trying to get a bag from the over head compartment.

The line moved fairly quickly when the people in front of us started moving. We were basically in the front and some how people still managed to beat us in line. I stepped off the plane and it felt different from the airport at home. Instead of blasting heat, they were blasting the air conditioning.

When we reached the gate there were huge windows. My jaw dropped in awe. Hawaii was beautiful, even from the airport. Michael grabbed my hand and tugged me along. I couldn’t stop staring out the window.

It was even better outside. I pulled my bag behind me. I almost ran into the car that was picking us up. Gwen’s fiancé must be loaded. He has enough money to hire a car to pick us up. All three of us sat in the back.

Michael was busy texting someone and Gwen was talking to the driver. I felt kind of alone. I rolled down my window and enjoyed the scenery some more. I wish I could live here, away from all my problems. I never want to leave. This place is so magical.

The car ride was over an hour to get to our hotel. In fact, it wasn’t a hotel at all. It was a bungalow over looking the ocean in a secluded part of the island. It was also close to where the wedding would be happening on a bluff overlooking the ocean as well. It seemed so quaint. I fell in love with our little home.

Gwen’s fiancé wasn’t present at the home. Gwen’s phone played a small jingle. She read over something. Michael threw his bag onto the floor and plopped down on the couch.

“He says that they’re just landing now. They’ll be here soon.”

Michael put his feet up on the coffee table. Gwen frowned at her son. I moved around Gwen and sat next to Michael. She looked tired again, as if she didn’t know what to do. I moved to give her a hug, but Michael’s arm tightened around me. He moved his arm up to my shoulder and pulled me close to him.

“Don’t bother, she just needs to sit poolside with a drink,” he whispered in my ear.

“What was that?” Gwen asked quickly.

“I was saying that we should go to the beach and allow you sometime to relax.” Gwen thought this over. Her shoulders slouched a little.

“Why don’t you wait until George get’s here,” she suggested. Michael shrugged.

“I guess that’s fine. What do you think, Bree?” I looked at Michael and then at Gwen.

“I don’t care.” Gwen gave a small smile.

“It will only be about a half hour or so. It’ll be quick, I promise.” I nodded and then got up.

Michael went out the back door. Gwen looked even more tired than she had, now that Michael had left the room. I gave her an apologetic look and then followed Michael out the back door. He sat down on the grass and patted the spot next to him. I sat down and leaned my head against his shoulder. It was nice, to say the least. I feel like I finally belong somewhere.

“I’d love to live here,” Michael said quietly.

“I would too. It’s far away from the drama, and it’s beautiful.”

“I’m hoping George decides to stay here, instead of going back home.”

“Would I get to stay as well?” I asked.

“Of course you would,” he said. I closed my eyes.

Almost an hour later, George had arrived with his kids. The kids did not come in. In fact, they were moving in to the bungalow next to ours. The parents would have one and the kids would have the other. George was a nice man, and he seemed awfully familiar. I couldn’t quite remember where I had seen him before.

Michael and I grabbed our bags before walking to the other bungalow. There were two bedrooms. Michael and I would be sharing a room, while George’s kids shared one. The door was already open. I stepped through the doorway behind Michael. There was no noise at all. It seemed hardly believable that George’s kids were here.

Michael lead me to a one of the rooms. He peeked in to see if it was occupied; it wasn’t. He claimed one of the beds and left me the other. Instead of starting to unpack, I threw my bag onto the bed. Michael had already begun to stretch out on his.

I didn’t want to sit inside, so I left the room. The back door was also open, the curtains moving in the slight breeze. I stepped outside. Two people were out back. One was a little girl and the other was a boy about my age. They had their heads away from me.

Michael placed his hand on my shoulder, startling me. I shot him a quick glare before training my attention back on the people. Michael began to shake me, as if he was trying to distract me. I batted his hand away.

“Hey, I’m staying with,” my words cut off when the guy turned around.

“Bree,” Will said with a smirk.

I looked back at Michael. Why didn’t he tell me. “Bree, listen.”

“No!” I yelled.

“Suzie, go to the room,” Will said. Like a good sister, Suzie scuttled off into the house.

“Bree, let me explain,” Will started to say. I glared at him next.

“You basically lied to me!” I screamed, “Why didn’t either of you tell me.”

“I was trying to protect you,” Michael pleaded.

“From what!” My mind was scattered. I couldn’t think of any one thing sanely.

“Bree,” Will said calmly, “remember that day at the ice rink?”

I thought back to that day. “Yes.”

“I was trying to tell you before this idiot showed up.”

My anger flared again. “Don’t call him an idiot. And you could have told me at some other point.”

“Bree, I’m sorry. I know I should’ve told you, but I just hated him so much I didn’t want to. It was selfish,” Michael said. I looked at him for a minute, my heart softening. His eyes held an apologetic look.

“I’m done hearing all of the bullshit you two have. I just need time.” I plan on going home. I’m sorry I won’t be seeing Gwen’s wedding.

I ran to my room. I was thankful my bag was still together. I unzipped it and shuffled through a few things. I found the box containing my dress. I found a pad of paper from the bedside table and used one of my pens to write a small note to Gwen and Michael. It said that I was sorry, I just need some time.

I placed the box and the note on the bed. Then I took my bag and walked out. Michael and Will stood in the doorway. I took a chance and looked back. The look on Michael’s face hurt me. I continued walking down the road. I looked at the bungalow Gwen was in, only for a minute.

The only prominent noise was the sound of my feet hitting the hot asphalt. Hawaii may be beautiful, but it’s hot too. I guess I should’ve planned things through a bit better. I don’t know when the nearest house is going to show up, and I didn’t bring any water or snacks. My stomach gave a low growl.