Chapter 17: The Incident

Steven said today I could show him what I could really do. Matt said he was coming along to! I needed boots. So I asked Matt if he would mind taking me to a store so I could get some!

I went over to his trailer and knocked on the door. He opened and said, "Come in please."

I walked in. I had my cowgirl outfit on. I asked him, "Are you ready to get my boots?"

He looked at me confused, "What boots?"

I barged in and said, "The ones I'm gonna use to ride in? And aren't you gonna get a new pair because the ones you had... went away?"

Sat down on his couch staring at my warn out green converse then he said, "Oh yeah! And I was thinking of that. Just didn't spend the time to think about it. Lets go shall we?!"

I hopped up and got in his car and we went to the shoe shop. We got there and it was full of boots and shoes of coarse. We got out and walked in. My eyes landed on the perfect pair and I ran over to it while Matt looked for his.

I tried on pair and it was perfect! I then shouted, "I FOUND IT!!!" Everyone stared at me then I sat down wait for Matt to do his pair.

He came over to me and said, "At least I didn't shout it out." Looking at the at window. I smiled then got up and said, "Oh shut up Matty Boy!"

He then said, "Hey that's not my name!"

I then said, "It is now!"

We walked over to the register lady and bought the boots. We walked out and got in the car and head to set.

When we got there, There was a a trailer with a black horse lied up on the outside. I got out and ran to the horse with only one pair of my boots on! Matt ran over to me and said, "You forgot your other boot. Steven where did you get this beaut?!"

Steven came over to us and said, "I called some people and they kindly brought this adorable Mare to us! Her name is Fern and she about 10 years old okay Jess?"

I turned to him nodding my head and whispered into Fern's ear, "It's okay, calm down I won't hurt you." I remember if you are scared the horse is going to sense it. And rule number 2 don't let then sniff horse poop because they can smell if the horse was scared. It's weird.

I grabbed the saddle pad and rubbed it on her. Steven then said, "Sorry it's okay if you begin!"

I nodded while a crowd of about 20 people including matt gathered around. I had to step way from Fern so I could back up the people from danger.

It looked like Fern was already brushed of so I put the the saddle pad and saddle on and tightened the girth. I checked his hoof and they were cleaned out also and it looked liked she had just gotten new shoes on.

I handed Matt the bridle to hold it for me. I then lunged Fern around me. She trotted then she went into the canter. Everybody backed up and then I stopped her so she look at me.

I bent down picking up a rock and threw it. She was perfectly fine it. She was breathing hard but not hard enough. (Don't worry I know what I am doing) I did it the other direction. Trotted her then made her canter.

I stopped her and she walked over to me. I put the lead line over here head and tied it to her halter as reins. She stood there while I tight the girth. I got on her to see what she was like.

She kind of fought me at first and the crowd had gotten bigger. I could see everyone she was so tall! I would say she was about 16.3 hh (Her wither bone or highest back bone was about 6-7 feet tall)

I walked over to Matt then asked him, "Could I have the bride please?" He handed it over and then I whispered, "Thanks! I might need your help getting my on! She is big!" He then whispered back, "Ok if you me to I will."

I put the bridle on him over then I asked Matt, "Yeah I'm going to need help." Even though I got on before I struggled in front of 30 people and the people were taking videos.

He helped me up and then I walked off. Just as soon as I was about 30 feet away from Matt Fern reared up. I ran her about. Quarter of a mile out but then she started to buck. She threw me off and I landed on my back and get like as a car had hit me. I could not move.

I got up and jumped on her. I don't know how but I did. She ran me back.

I got off her. I looked for Matt who was about 50 feet away from me. I tried to walk over to him but I collapsed with Fern in my hand but let go of her.

I was on my knees. With one hand on my stomach and other in the air trying to get to Matt. Matt ran over to me but tripped but then got up. He held my hand.

I started coughing up blood. Then he asked me, "What happened?" I started to cry and then I hugged him I whispered in his ear, "She bucked me off and then I fell straight on my back. I couldn't breath after that. But I got on her and she took me back."

People surrounded me but Matt was there. We were still friends but I felt another connection. I was breathing slow and had a fast heart beat. I blanked out but I kept the image of Matts hair in my head.

The ambulance arrived and the put me on a cot. I then said, "Can Matt come too?" The doctor nodded and Matt got on and we were on our way to the hospital.

Dear Reader,

So how is it? Intense! I love this so far we'll keep me posted and comment and all that good stuff but most of all, ENJOY!!!

~JesMolloy