We Go Behind the Leprechaun's Back

HARRY’S POV

            “Did you enjoy the show tonight?” I asked.

            She smiled and nodded. “You looked cute with your silly bandana headband thing.”

            “You called me cuuuuutee….”

            “You are cute,” she bumped me with her hip and yawned. She was already getting sleepy. You’re a pro, Hazza. Keep talking.

            “I think you just look adorable every time I, Louis, or Liam have to drag you out onstage for a dance.”

            “Whatever,” she scoffed with a smile.

            “Why do you get such bad stage fright?”

            “I dunno,” she shrugged. “I guess I’m just worried they’ll ‘boo’ at me or whatever. Those girls don’t like me.”

            “Gia, they love you. Only the crazy ones hate you. And they’re dumb. You are the most lovable person I’ve ever known.”

            She blushed and closed her eyes.

            “Gia, are you sleepy?”

            “Mhmm…”

            “Well I gotta tell you something.”

            She yawned again. “Well then keep talking.”

            “Don’t fall asleep,” I chided.

            “I won’t…” another yawn.

            “Gia, you know how I said that I liked you? Well, I just like you more and more every day. I like you a little more every time I see you smile or laugh or do anything, because everything that you do is just sweet and cute and wonderful….Gia…. I guess that liking you builds up every day…and…Gia…..I think I….”

            My gorgeous soliloquy was interrupted by the slow sound of her breathing barley a snore….she was asleep.

            “I think I love you,” I whispered against her lips.

            I kissed her nose gently, but before I could retract, I heard the rattle of the curtain being pulled back.

            I locked eyes with Liam, my lips still on Gia’s nose.

            “You’re cheating,” he said, raising an eyebrow.

            “She had a bad dream.”

            “Get your lips off her face….”

            I pulled back and looked at him. “I can’t play fair anymore, Liam. She needs me.”

            “Does she? Or do you need her?”

            “I do need her!” I whisper-yelled.  “I need her to need me. She is perfect and she deserves so much better out of life. No one, not even your guys’ sweet innocent little backstabbing leprechaun over there….no one will love her more than I will because she is the best thing that has ever come into my life. She makes me feel…right. I can’t even fathom it. And I won’t let him take her from me.”

            “Harry….I know how you feel. I’d kill anyone that came near Dani. But you can’t just up and steal her right out from under his nose. You have to tread lightly. If you don’t, he’ll tell her about the bet-“

            “Yeah! I know! She’ll hate me! Why do you think I don’t just up and punch him in the face? I’m trying, Liam, but I can’t take it!” I ran a hand through my hair and tried to fight the tears stinging my eyelids. “I have to have her….But I can’t lose her…..”

            “I’ll help you.”

            I looked up and saw that Louis was standing there.

            “I’ll help you, too,” Zayn appeared on Liam’s other side.

            “You guys, we have to keep this from Niall, whatever we do,” Liam said.

            “We’ve got to figure out a way to get him to quit the challenge,” I said, “without letting Gia find out.”  

            “We’ve got you, mate,” Louis said, touching my shoulder. “But you better not let him wake up and see you sleeping with her.”

            He reached down, trying to lift her, take her away from me and put her back into her bunk.

            “Don’t touch her! I can’t leave her! I promised her. She’s staying with me. She wanted to. That is not. Cheating. Go to bed, you lot.”

            They exchanged glances and all went back to their beds, but Zayn lingered for a moment.

            “Tread very lightly,” he said before shutting the curtain.

            I looked down at Gia’s still form. I kissed her forehead.

            “We’ll be together,” I whispered. “I’ll fix this. I promise.”