On Our Way Home

“I need four tickets on the next flight to Charleston, West Virginia right now,” Harry said to the woman behind the desk at the airport.

            She typed some things on her computer. “I’m afraid the closest I can get you by tonight is in Tennessee. Flight leaves in ten minutes.”

            “We’ll take it; just tell them to stall the gate.”

            Harry and Niall split the bill. We had just driven all the way from Maidstone, back to the apartments to pack in like five minutes, and then had gone straight to the airport.

            I hadn’t cried since we left.

            I found myself sitting stiff with my hands in my lap once the plane had taken off.

            Harry looked at me, trying to break the cold silence. “I know I can’t possibly understand….but I’m sorry. No one deserves to go through what you have, Gia. It’s not fair. And I don’t mean just tonight. I mean…everything.”

            I stared straight ahead. I was in my own world.

            “I’m trying to remember them at their best. They had their good points, no matter how ridiculous they were. But like….I did love them.”

            “Of course you did,” Harry said, rubbing my shoulder. “They were your parents. They loved you too, all of you.”

            “But they hurt us.”

            “They didn’t always mean to.”

            I nodded, wiping away the tears that had snuck their way back out. I let out a choked sob and Harry pulled me into a hug.

            “I just can’t imagine what Sophie and Kat are going through right now…all alone…Liv barley knows what’s going on.”

            “Gia, you can’t worry for everyone.”

            “But I have to now! We don’t have any other family besides Lou! I have to take care of two teenagers now. I can’t do that on my salary. I need a new house; I need to be able to get them back in school.” I tried to slow my breathing. “It all just happened so fast.”

            “I know.”

            “It was like…all of a sudden I went from a free nineteen year old to a 46 year old soccer mom in a matter of minutes.”

            “You know you aren’t in this alone, Gia,” he said, pulling me tighter.

            I let myself relax. I was with Harry. Everyone was safe. I was on my way to my girls.

            I let myself fall asleep right there, curled up in Harry’s embrace.