Eleanor Eavesdropping

ELEANOR’S POV

            Louis was already downstairs with the others. I was just now leaving his flat because I’d been finishing my side-fishtail braid. I stopped at Harry’s door when I realized that the laces on my brown combat boots were undone. I kneeled to tie them. That’s when I heard Gia’s voice on the other side of Harry’s door.

            “Harry, I’m sorry….I can’t. I’m still sorting myself out. I don’t need a relationship to deal with.”

            “Gia.”

            Their footsteps stopped at the door. There was a small thud and then the sound of sniffling. Was he making her cry!?

“Shh…shh it’s okay….” he soothed.

            “I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to…I just wanted to kiss you so badly I didn’t mean…”

            “Gia, it’s not your fault. I pushed you. You don’t owe me an apology. It’s just as much my fault. If you don’t want to be involved with me now, I’ll wait. I know you aren’t ready.”

            “You’d wait?”

            “Forever if I had to! Gia, I would go to any length to make you happy and comfortable. I like you. I have since we met. And I’d do anything for you, even if it meant you didn’t want to be with me now.”

             “You’re incredible.”

            “Not nearly as incredible as you. We’ll keep this between us for now, yeah?”

            “Yeah….that’s probably best.”                     

            “Let’s just go back to being best friends. We don’t need to tell the guys. We can handle this whenever you’re ready.”

            I jumped up and bolted down the stairs to the lobby.

            NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

            HE. MADE. A MOVE. HE DID. AND I’LL KILL HIM FOR IT.     

            I decided to wait to kill Harry until we were at the mall. In Pacsun, I retreated to the dressing room to wait for my prey.

            When I heard his frickin hipster boots clacking down the hall I jumped up on the stool in the corner and opened the door. Exactly as I’d hoped, he walked right into the room and I shut the door.

            “Hello, cheater,” I stood on the stool above him with my hands on my hips.

            “What the-“

            I jumped down and pushed him up against the wall, grabbing him by the shirt collar. “What did you do to Gia? Why was she crying and talking about relationships? What did you tell her?”

            “Nothing! What are you on about?”

            “You were talking about relationships! I heard you from the hall, and you’re lucky it was me and not Niall in the hall.”

            “Look I didn’t tell her about the competition.”

            “Oh, of course not. She’d kill you if you did. Now what exactly did you do?”

            “She made the move, not me!”

            “Harry!”

            “Alright last night she woke up and couldn’t sleep so she made me sing to her and right before she fell asleep she said, ‘Take a rain check on that kiss?’ and I mentioned it when we were getting ready and then…well, one thing led to another and we kinda….”

            “Kinda what!?”

            “We...made out in my bathroom. A lot.”

            “HARRY!”

            “Shh! Look, after that, she said it was a mistake and I told her that if she didn’t want a relationship now I would wait for her. I didn’t mention Niall. I told her not to tell anyone. Please keep it a secret El, if Niall finds out then he’ll tell her about the competition and she’ll hate me. She’s the best thing in my life ever and I can’t stand to lose her Eleanor please please please don’t sell me out!”

            I released him. The punk did look genuine. He did like her a lot.

            “Fine, you’re secret’s safe with me. But you better tread carefully, Harry.”

            “I know. I will. Just don’t say anything. I won’t tell her you know.”

            I started out the door, checking to make sure no one was in the hallway.

            I turned back to him. “Harry.”

            “Yeah?”

            “If she finds out, you know she’ll never forgive you.”

            He looked at the ground for a minute, and when he looked back up I could see that his eyes were wet.

            “I know.”

            Alright my heart kinda went out to him there. He did like her a lot, didn’t he?

            I hugged him. “I’ll help.”