Harry Will Be Driving

I woke up in the backseat of a car. Sunlight was blinding me.

            I wiped the sleep form my eyes and sat up. Harry’s jacket covered me. I became aware that a pair of hands was holding my waist. I turned and saw Harry sleeping beside me. The driver’s seat was empty, but Niall was asleep in the passenger’s seat. I got out of the car and found myself in the parking lot of a gas station. Across the road stood a sign that read, “Welcome to West Virginia: The Mountain State.”

            The door to the gas station opened and strutting out came Liv, carrying two plastic bags.

            “Good morning, sunshine!” she said, handing me the bags before she began pumping the gas.

            “Where exactly did we get the car and how did I get in it?”

            “Rental place in Nashville. You were sleeping so Harry carried you. He refused to let us wake you up. He drove for a while and then I took over. He’s been in the back with you for about four hours.”

            “I’ll drive to Charleston from here,” I said, pulling a Pepsi from the bags of snacks and drinks, taking a refreshing sip, and then sitting down in the driver’s seat.

            I was just about to shut my door and start the car, but a hand stopped the door.

            “Let me drive,” Harry said.

            “No, Harry, you need more sleep.”

            “Move Niall to the back and get in the passenger’s seat.”

            “Fine,” I huffed, knowing that he wouldn’t budge.

            I directed him to the interstate with Niall and Liv napping in the back.

            I handed him a cylinder of pringles. “You should really be the one resting,” I said.

            “I can’t sleep if I’m not holding you,” he stated matter-of-factly.

            I shook my head in confusion. “Wh…what did you say?”

            He looked off at something on the road. “I can’t sleep…if you aren’t there. I’m afraid.”

            “Afraid of what?”

            “Of….waking up alone.”

            I slumped in my seat, feeling terrible. “Harry, I’m sorry….I’m sorry I left.”

            “Why would you do that to me?”

            I was quiet.

            “You tell me that you’ve missed me and you kiss me and everything is fine for a few hours…then I wake up with nothing but cold pillows, a crappy note, and a dream that I can’t remember.”

            He glanced at me for a moment. “How could you do that to me?” He diverted his eyes back to the road. “And then you won’t even bother to answer my calls or texts.”

            “I didn’t want to have to say goodbye,” I croaked. “I’m not good at it.”

            He fumbled in his pocket and pulled out the note I wrote him. He tossed it into my lap. “I know.”

            I put a hand on my forehead.

            “Look, Gia, I know that you were mad at me before but-“

            “I wasn’t trying to get back at you, Har-“

            “Then why did you go?”

            I rubbed circles around my temples. I’m a complete jerk.

            “Huh?” he pressed. “I just get back on speaking terms with you and then you exile me. I was already going to lose enough sleep just being away from you….now I can’t get through a night without waking up crying.”

            I grabbed his hand over the console and looked at him.

            “I’m sorry,” I whispered. “I’m so sorry, Harry.”

            He sighed. “I know.”

            “Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?”

            “One condition.”

            “Anything.”

            “You have to come with me when I go to Holmes Chappell for the break.”

            I gulped. “You…you want me to go home with you?”

            “Mum wants to meet you.”

            “You told your mom about me?”

            He nodded.

            I pulled my feet up into the seat. “Fine…I’ll go.”

            He squeezed my hand. “Thank you.”