Jughead : Crush

She sat across from me in the booth at Pop's. She sipped her milkshake, vanilla her usual. Betty Cooper. The girl I've adored since junior high. She didn't notice me. She noticed Archie Andrews though. He was my best friend but I still hated him at times. Like the times Betty gave him googly eyes or when they hugged. She's never hugged me. But tonight it was just her and me in this booth. I valued this time.

"Juggy?" Betty broke me out of my thoughts.

"Sorry I was .. lost in thought." I said biting my lip.

"It's okay. I was just asking if you wanted to come over sometime." My head shot up.

"Yeah sure." I felt my cheeks turn red.

"I figured since we're on the paper together now, we could try to figure out another story. A new cover story." She smiled at me.

"Definitely. When?" Betty checked her phone.

"Honestly I don't have plans for like the next month so whenever."

"Tomorrow? After school?" I sounded desperate.

"Perfect."

**** The next day at school ****

I sat in my last class eagerly awaiting the bell so I could see Betty. Finally, it rang. I practically ran to her locker. I saw Archie there making her laugh and I cringed. Taking a deep breath, I approached them.

"Hey, ready to go?" I asked Betty. She turned her attention to me.

"Yes! Let's get walking. See ya later Archie. Have fun at practice." Archie was on the football team. The jock vs. me (the weird goth kid).

During the walk, Betty talked to me about her day and I couldn't help but stare lovingly at her glowing cheeks, her blond ponytail, her pink lips, her green-blue eyes. She was so beautiful. I loved how her eyes lit up when she talked about her favorite classes.

We then arrived at her house. "I think my parents are still at The Register so it's probably only Polly home." Betty said. Polly was her slightly older sister. She was dating a jock, Jason Blossom. He was the football captain.

"Okay so where are we going to-"

"My room if that's okay?" I nodded letting her know that was definitely okay. Of course, I wasn't planning anything with her. I knew she had a stupid crush on Archie, but I felt closer to her, being in her room. We sat on her bed very close to each other. I knew I was breathing heavily but I couldn't help it. "So do you have anything you'd like to start with?"

The rest of the night went as follows: Betty and I discussed multiple topics we would include in the school paper (The Blue and Gold). Then she invited me to dinner and that was rather awkward. Her mother and father wouldn't take their eyes off of me and asked me many questions. Polly kept giving eyes to Betty and Betty blushed in reply. Then after that I walked home alone. Betty offered to walk me but I didn't want her walking back alone.

The next morning I met up with Betty and our group in a room next to the library. We called it the common room; it had couches and books and just a space for us to hang at school. Our "gang" consisted of Archie, Kevin Keller, Betty, but today sat a new girl. She was tan and had short black hair. Her dark brows were close together and she wore purple lipstick.

"Hi you must be Juggy!" She said to me and I noticed Betty scowl beside her. Only Betty called me that.

"Yeah uh just Jughead."

"This is Veronica Lodge. She just moved here from New York." Archie said watching Veronica intensely which made Betty cringe.

"Cool." I said and sat down next to Betty.

"So what's everyone's place? Who's dating who? Who's the bitch?" Veronica asked.  I rolled my eyes. She's a gossip.

"Well since you ask..." Kevin started. "I'm gay. Archie's on the football team. Jughead's anti-social. Betty's on the paper with him. Um no one here is dating anyone... yet. But some people are spoken for. Oh and Cheryl Blossom can be bitchy, no offense. She's cheer captain."

"I'm just the girl on the paper?" Betty laughed and Kevin shrugged his shoulders.

"So who's off limits then?" Veronica pushed.

"Everyone except me." Kevin replied and the rest of us raised our eyebrows but he simply laughed.

It wasn't until Science class that I saw Betty. I took my usual place next to her. "Hey Bets." She smiled at me and tightened her ponytail.

"Hey Jug. What do you think of Veronica?"

"She's nosy."

Betty laughed. "I think she's nice."

"She was eyeing Archie." Betty looked down. Shit. I upset her.

"Honestly, Jug if he likes me he likes me. If he doesn't then I have to move on."

"So how are you gonna know?"

"Well... he's coming over tonight. I think I might make a move, or at least ask him how he feels." She whispered and my heart dropped.

"Doesn't he have practice?"

"He's coming over after."

"That's pretty late."

"Well he does live next door." I nodded. Another thing I hated.

At lunch, Betty sat next to Archie before Veronica could so I was stuck between Veronica and Kevin. Great. I noticed Archie leaning over Betty as they talked. She was batting her lashes at him. They were oblivious to the conversation Veronica and Kevin were having.

"So I'm guessing they are the ones spoken for?" Veronica whispered to Kevin who nodded.

"Betty has liked Archie for like ever but no one knows if he likes her back. Jughead here obviously likes Betty but sometimes she has a thick skull ya know?" I turned and glared at Kevin.

"I do not, now shut up." I hissed and Veronica laughed.

"Calm down lover boy, your secret is safe with me." I glared at her too.

"Jug?" Betty's voice immediately broke me out of my bad mood.

"Hmm?"

"You okay?"

"Yeah, Kevin's just pissing me off." Kevin scoffed and Betty laughed.