8 - Walk in the Park

April 30, 2020

I get up early in the morning for a run. I go outside and stretch my legs out on the porch. The door opens behind me. Ariel's in a t-shirt, shorts, and running shoes. I easily recognize most of what she's got on is Naz's, but I am taken aback by the fact she is up this early.

"Morning," I say.

"Hi," she smiles. She pulls her hair up into a ponytail.

"I didn't take you for a morning person," I comment. Not after we stayed up till two in the morning talking about random things like childhood food combinations, family traditions and gossip, and must-do bucket lists.

The later it got and the more tired we became, the more open and honest we talked. It's strange to see Ariel now because talking to her like that felt more intimate than sex. And I want more of it.

"I'm not," Ariel laughs. "I usually set like six different alarms just to get up, but I heard someone already up this morning. Guess it was you."

I step off the porch, and she follows. "I usually run on the trails," I say. "If you want, we could jog the first lap, and then you can take off at your own pace."

"Sure," Ariel says.

We begin our jog quietly. From the corner of my eye, Ariel didn't hide her evident stares. It pleases me, but it makes me curious as to what's on her mind.

"Are you a distance runner or a sprinter? Or maybe both?" She asks.

"Definitely a sprinter. If I did both, I wouldn't be a quarterback."

"So do you take most girls out on a jog or just me?"

Trying to stay focused, I answer briefly. "No."

"How come?"

We stop jogging. I am a little out of breath, but I do my best not to take too deep of a breath before I answer. "Well, I was with the same girl for the past four years, and she wasn't exactly into morning runs."

"Well then, I guess it's a good thing that's over now, isn't it?"

Before I could gather a response, Ariel runs off. The stupid grin on my face is thriving.

I sprint to catch up, but Ariel is fast. Once I reach her, I push myself to pass her. Then next thing I know, a force on my right side takes me down a small grassy hill. Ariel's laugh fills the air.

"Jesús Christ," I groan. "Did you want to try out for the Bandits?"

"Yeah, just let me tuck or cut my hair and bandage wrap my chest. No one will even notice I'm a girl."

"You could always join a rugby team."

Ariel groans. She rolls onto her stomach, bringing herself closer to me. "I tried rugby. I don't feel as passionate about it. If I can't play football, I'd love to coach."

"Really," I say. I prop myself up on my elbows.

"Yeah. It's what I'm going to school for," Ariel clarifies.

"What are you studying? When are you done?"

"I'm double majoring in Physical Education Teaching and Coaching and Athletic Training with a minor in Hispanic Studies," Ariel answers. "I'm supposed to be done a semester early and finish in December."

"Supposed to? Is there something that might change that plan?"

"Oh you know, it's college," Ariel shrugs. "I could suddenly discover a passion for the Humanities and fulfill my lifelong dream of doing aerial silks-- no pun intended."